189 visa and dependents

Lucie1

I'm going to be applying for a 189 visa I have two children who will be turning 18 possibly after I've lodged the application.

What do I do ? Do I wait a few months until they are 18 or so I just update them ? Has anyone been in the same situation.

thanks

Do you want them to be included in the visa. If so they need to remain dependent until the visa is granted and actually validate it. If they live with you and are in FT education it shouldn't be a problem. You will need to complete additional forms for them and provide evidence of dependency. Your CO will ask for anything they need before they grant the visa. All you need to do is be prepared.

dont wait to apply though.

Thanks. I'm at a loss with them they don't know what they want to do whether to come to Australia and stay in the uk. They turn 18 in May and finish full Tim education in July. They are hoping to gain apprenticeships in September if not successful will go to college.

Im really stuck if I don't add them to my 189 visa and they decide later to come out how I would be able to make it happen. Also if I add them and then they choose they don't want to emigrate

They should be included and apply for college. That way you show they have places for sept. They should also validate the visas. Tell them that having a visa doesn't mean they have to stay in Aus. They will then have 5 years to make the move. There are posts on here from people who didnt include teenagers as they said they didn't want to go. Then changed their minds a couple of years later only to find they could no longer get a visa. You must keep the option open to them.

I I had the same issue. No way were they not going to be included. At that age they change their minds like the wind!

Archived