EOi Waiting Times with 55 Points

nickp99

Hi All

We are hoping to emigrate on a 189 visa later this year and submitted our EOi 4 weeks ago. However, we only have 55 points and are yet to hear anything. I have looked at a few posts where it would seem points are upgraded to 60 although don't know if this is the same for all.

We are looking to move to Perth using my wife's qualifications as a social worker which have been passed accordingly. We lost points due to my wife's English results being half a point down on the written test.

So with the above in mind do we;

a) Wait and see if they upgrade us to the required 60 points?

b) re-take the English test?

If we wait any idea how long?

Thanks in advance

Nick

No you won't be "upgraded" to 60 points, I have no idea where you have heard this from, but it does not happen.

Nothing is going to happen with your 189 EOI whilst you only have 55 points. You need to look into where you can get another 5 points from, or apply for state sponsorship and the 190 visa.

Hi @Bungo, many thanks for the reply and I found the upgraded comment on another users comments of what happened to them and wondered if this was standard practice, however clearly not.

I forgot to mention in my original post that we applied for the 190 visa at the same time due to only having 55 points however have still not heard anything.

Nick

Hi @benthomas010, many thanks for the reply and whilst waiting for the 190 we are going to retake the test.

NIck

Hi @Bungo, many thanks for the reply and I found the upgraded comment on another users comments of what happened to them and wondered if this was standard practice, however clearly not.

I forgot to mention in my original post that we applied for the 190 visa at the same time due to only having 55 points however have still not heard anything.

Nick

Hi @benthomas010, many thanks for the reply and whilst waiting for the 190 we are going to retake the test.

NIck

Nobody is just randomly upgraded by 5 points. People might have said that they got 5 points for state sponsorship?

Which states did you express a preference for? Have you looked into their sponsorship application process?

Hi All

We are hoping to emigrate on a 189 visa later this year and submitted our EOi 4 weeks ago. However, we only have 55 points and are yet to hear anything. I have looked at a few posts where it would seem points are upgraded to 60 although don't know if this is the same for all.

We are looking to move to Perth using my wife's qualifications as a social worker which have been passed accordingly. We lost points due to my wife's English results being half a point down on the written test.

So with the above in mind do we;

a) Wait and see if they upgrade us to the required 60 points?

b) re-take the English test?

If we wait any idea how long?

Thanks in advance

Nick

a) You will wait forever for a 189 invitation with only 55 points. The ONLY time points are upgraded automatically is when the applicant has a birthday that takes them into a higher point bracket i.e. when they turn 25 or (possibly) if they have claimed work experience points and they move into the next point category for experience (not sure about that one though - it may be necessary to update the EOI in that case).

b) Do another English test. If your wife did IELTS last time, she should do PTE Academic this time around. Going for English points is by far the best option.

You will only get a 190 invitation if you have secured a state nomination. WA and NSW monitor EOIs that have nominated their state only (or ALL) and invite suitable applicants to apply to them for state nomination. If you want sponsorship by any other state, you must apply directly to that state. In all cases, your occupation must be on the individual state list of occupations for there to be any chance of getting a nomination. Have you applied directly to any state?

Archived