Taking VW Kombi back to the UK

Littlemo

Hi

We are moving back to the UK at the end of the year, and I'm looking for advice on taking two vehicles back with us.

We seem to have acquired two Kombis and would like to take them back with us.

They are most definitely a project, they are not registered and require complete restoration.

Would they still be classed as a working car?

They do have engines, but one of the, hasn't been started in five years so they are not road registered.

Any help, or advice would be great!

I am taking mine back but it is running.

The price difference between taking it and buying a new one over there is substantial so worth it.

Looking forward to driving it out of the container in southampton to the garage for its MOT

DVLA has the details about importing but I am not sure if that is different for projects.

The other thing is that if the bodies are rust free, take them. Most Kombis in the UK are rotted by road salt so hard to find a good one.

What type and year are they?

I am taking mine back but it is running.

The price difference between taking it and buying a new one over there is substantial so worth it.

Looking forward to driving it out of the container in southampton to the garage for its MOT

DVLA has the details about importing but I am not sure if that is different for projects.

The other thing is that if the bodies are rust free, take them. Most Kombis in the UK are rotted by road salt so hard to find a good one.

What type and year are they?

they fetch far more in oz than the uk and you can pick up some really good rust free examples in the UK, I have looked at them myself and there are some real good ones about...how much is the shipping from Oz? I have seen some really nice ones for around 8k

Its going to cost me 2k to go from a 20ft to a 40ft so neither here nor there

Most of the rust will be invisible as it is in the under body, round the windows and in the roof. For 8k I would be getting checked very closely.

Also you cant buy the Sopru conversion in the UK unless it is an Aus import

Its going to cost me 2k to go from a 20ft to a 40ft so neither here nor there

Most of the rust will be invisible as it is in the under body, round the windows and in the roof. For 8k I would be getting checked very closely.

Also you cant buy the Sopru conversion in the UK unless it is an Aus import

That sounds like it is worth shipping then

Hi all

My husband will take them over me, so leaving them isn't an option! He's spent quite a lot of time on one, so he couldn't part with it.

They are 1973 and 1974. We got them both for less than $4000, so they've been bargains!

Hi all

My husband will take them over me, so leaving them isn't an option! He's spent quite a lot of time on one, so he couldn't part with it.

They are 1973 and 1974. We got them both for less than $4000, so they've been bargains!

Sounds like me

Husband is all "what do you want that old piece of junk for!" but I love it

BRIGHT orange and dead comfortable to sleep in

Doesnt go very fast but when your's are up and running remember its not the miles per hour but the smiles per hour that counts (assuming you are not broken down in the snow on the side of a very busy motorway:-) )

I would also be interested to know who you are using as I am expecting to pay about $13k for a 40ft including kombi

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yeah you really need to watch out for the additional charges at the other end and there could be unexpected ones too, mainly if they deem any specifications to not meet European standards.

Are you moving from the Sunshine Coast? I know someone who would be interested in looking at them if you sold them.

We are looking at taking our car back.

We brought it out with us. We were told it would not be be worth it and to sell it. However, car for some people car are so much more than financial. I personally would pay what it took to get it out with us and will pay to get it back. Hopefully, due to the fact that it came from the UK and is going back home, there should not be too much of an issue.

Totally agree though it is the smiles and not the miles per hour with some cars :) At the end of the day if you want to take them back, do it.

Archived