Family friendly areas in Brisbane

Hodgies2Oz

Can anyone recommend the family friendly areas near Brisbane. I have an 11 year old and 9 year old so I will need to be near to both a high school and primary school. Would really like to be in an area that's not too far from Brisbane CBD as my husband is hoping to work in that area. I have looked at the maps and housing websites time and time again, but I can't work out where would be best??? :arghh: Also have 2 small dogs so somewhere the dogs will be happy (although I am sure they will be happy anywhere).

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Hi,

I moved to Brisbane in January with my husband and 2 kids (6 & 11yrs).We live south of Brisbane in a suburb called Wishart. It is a very friendly area and feels nice and safe. We are next to a suburb called Mansfield which has a really good school and we are in the catchment area for it. Both my kids are currently in the primary school but my eldest will start high school next year and it is right next door to the primary. They have both settled in really well there and actually seem to enjoy going to school!! The area itself is about 20 mins to CBD and 35 mins to Gold coast. It has good access to freeway and so easy to get to most places. Have a number of parklands around so plenty of places for dog walking. Let me know if I can be of any more help. Good luck

There are 450 suburbs and most are family friendly so tough to narrow down as they all have schools...suburbs closer to the city tend to have more in demand state schools and more expensive houses so it can often just come down to your budget.

Some well regarded suburbs just to add to the list are The Gap, Kenmore, Chapel Hill, Indooroopilly, Ashgrove, Clayfield, Wilston, Chelmer, Bulimba etc etc

Can anyone recommend the family friendly areas near Brisbane. I have an 11 year old and 9 year old so I will need to be near to both a high school and primary school. Would really like to be in an area that's not too far from Brisbane CBD as my husband is hoping to work in that area. I have looked at the maps and housing websites time and time again, but I can't work out where would be best??? :arghh: Also have 2 small dogs so somewhere the dogs will be happy (although I am sure they will be happy anywhere).

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Choose areas close to a railway station as the trains are good for getting into town, also consider access to shopping areas and entertainment such as cafes and drinking holes, you have to consider that their are 2 main malls north and south of brissie and the main shops in the center, also consider carefully before buying acreage as the work in maintenance is quite significant given the growing climate in queensland.

Most areas are child friendly, I would avoid some of the areas such as Inala which is state housing area and there are others like deception bay, but even these areas are perfectly liveable but do suffer from pockets of deprivation.

North of the river is reckoned to be the best areas but that is entirely a matter of opinion but prices rocket to live there

Choose areas close to a railway station as the trains are good for getting into town, also consider access to shopping areas and entertainment such as cafes and drinking holes, you have to consider that their are 2 main malls north and south of brissie and the main shops in the center, also consider carefully before buying acreage as the work in maintenance is quite significant given the growing climate in queensland.

Most areas are child friendly, I would avoid some of the areas such as Inala which is state housing area and there are others like deception bay, but even these areas are perfectly liveable but do suffer from pockets of deprivation.

North of the river is reckoned to be the best areas but that is entirely a matter of opinion but prices rocket to live there

FYI, there are 4 main malls in Brisbane, south, west, east and north + a bunch of secondary malls. While on average north of the river has more expensive areas prices on the north can very often be the same or less than the south...totally depends on the area. Generally the highest socio economic areas of Brisbane run in a line from the middle west (north of river) through to the inner east (south of river) with some in the inner north.

http://house.ksou.cn/suburbtop.php?sta=qld&cat=Median+household+income&name=Weekly+income

Thank you. I have just read someone else's post saying they want to move from Brisbane to Melbourne as Brisbane is just too boring!!!! She also said its really hard to make friends in that area.

I know it sounds laid back in Brisbane (part of the attraction), but surely its not boring? Don't want to take the kids there and find they are bored with no friends. Although I guess this can depend on the type of person you are, as we are outgoing and maybe she isn't???? She's worried me now!

Thank you. I have just read someone else's post saying they want to move from Brisbane to Melbourne as Brisbane is just too boring!!!! She also said its really hard to make friends in that area.

I know it sounds laid back in Brisbane (part of the attraction), but surely its not boring? Don't want to take the kids there and find they are bored with no friends. Although I guess this can depend on the type of person you are, as we are outgoing and maybe she isn't???? She's worried me now!

Brisbane has plenty going on for everyone if you live within easy reach of the city.

Australian suburbia can be somewhat dull, but that's the case in all cities

Personally I have found everyone I've met in Brisbane really friendly. We live 20-25 mins south of city and there is plenty to do. Kids are not bored and have made plenty of friends. In Melbourne doing a course at the moment (on my own) but find it very like UK. I am a 35min train ride to city. Walked around city yesterday and thought I was in London. Smell of stale urine and loads of people just barging into me ( well that was in the shopping area anyway). Looked a bit nicer by the river. In the suburb I'm in seems very quiet noone around when I go for walks. I'm sure there must be more interesting suburbs here though. Just my experience thats all.

It is a city of 2million+...you could find any opinion you wanted to....some are wildly enthusiastic, some bored and everything in between. As said it totally depends where you live in Australian cities....you could be living in a really quiet boring suburb with poor access to more exciting areas or you might be living in the thick of things. Two families will have totally different opinions.

In general, Sydney and Melbourne obviously have more of everything going on, as they are twice as populous, but it often comes down to the balance of things and access to them that matters. If you are 18 and partying you might want to hang out in the middle of Sydney or Melbourne for the ultimate experience but Brisbane has masses of good bars these days so you might find it has enough for you and access to other things you like make it your overall preference (or not). One advantage is does have, especially over Sydney, is that you can live really close to major inner city attractions for a far more affordable price. It really is everyday access that often counts the most...many who say they live in this city or that really live many km's away in a totally different suburban place and barely know the inner parts of their city...

Family wise I think Brisbane is excellent with masses of things for kids to do so I wouldn't worry on that front (as are all Australian cities I think).

I live in a nice suburb and they are friendly , I live by a train line too ...easy get in the city . Brissie isn't boring there is plenty to do....suberbs are boring ....I'd love a city life lol ....too expensive though ....friends you will make friends ...I have a few here although live opposite ends and the one that lives not far from me , we meet now and then for coffee she's a busy bee ....lovely though . My neighbours again lovely but too old for me I doubt they would appreciate me lol ...although ones knocked on tonight ask me if I'm ok and give me a kiss lol ....my kids have thrived in brisbane ...not short on friends older than yrs mind but still . I'm sad I have to take them away from it ,in away ...although I do very much miss the coastline in wa ....but brissie is lovely and plenty to do and the city and south bank very vibrant which I love that :)! Zoo , glass house mountains , wet and wild , movie world , ect....Gold Coast Sunshine Coast ...stayed a weekend in noosa at christmas loved it could live there . Down side the humidity gets too me a little I spend more time avoiding the sun now lol . But other than that is been a great experience although I hate my situation ...I still think it's been good for the kids and I have loved where I've visited . I love it has a vibrancy about it . Carnt comment on anyother state only the two I've seen :)!

oh and another thing I don't like about brissie it's dark far too early ...you get in from work ...you have tea ...watch coronation street lol and that's it looks like there's been a power cut everywhere too dark too soon and it feels like ya days gone dead quick . Other than humidity and dark too early that's it lovely :)

Brisbane is a great city, large enough for us with a decent amount going on however small enough not to feel like London etc. One thing which will strike you compared to most other cities is how clean Brisbane is, fairly well planned and has a lovely laid back but professional feel.

Brisbane is a short hop to Sydney and Melbourne for a weekend and as mentioned previously has GC and SC 1 hour away either direction.

We have surprised ourselves and become city people actually buying in Bowen Hills which is hugely up and coming, convenient for everything and has loads going on. We are presently in Ascot, really nice, lots going on and convenient to the city.

I guess if you are moving from Central London/Manchester etc then you may find Brisbane a little slower however if like us you came from a smaller town then Brisbane has plenty to do. Beware of some of the burbs especially some on the south and west sides of the city however the east brings you closer to the airport.

S

Archived