ACS Membership worth it??

evenezia

After getting a positive skill assessment by the Australian Computer Society, I am now eligible for ACS Membership. Has any Oz-bound IT professional actually joined and found the membership useful in any way - ie is it viewed favourably by Australian employers, has it opened doors, or is it just another money spinner??

Thanks all

After getting a positive skill assessment by the Australian Computer Society, I am now eligible for ACS Membership. Has any Oz-bound IT professional actually joined and found the membership useful in any way - ie is it viewed favourably by Australian employers, has it opened doors, or is it just another money spinner??

Thanks all

I'm interested in this too

If it is a near-trivial cost...it may be worthwhile...like a stocking filler for your CV. But in reality (I'm an IT contractor in Oz, have been for a considerable time), this is unlikely to be anything other than a mere curiosity for most recruiters or potential employers. Obviously each recruiter, employer (etc) will have different requirements and different 'buttons' - but I would think that role-specific certification (SCRUM, PRINCE2, MCSE, TOGAF, etc etc) would hold you in greater stead than an ACS membership.

That is not to say that such membership may not have other benefits as well....which may be of particular value to you if and when you get to Aus.

For mine...I have done lots of reading CV's and hiring IT staff...I can't recall ever seeing any reference to this but - if I have - it certainly did not have a resounding impact upon me.

I hope it all works out well - whichever course you decide upon...

I agree with Foibles, membership won't help directly in getting a job, I do have BCS membership on my CV but I don't think it really means anything.

Where it may help is with networking, as a member you will be able to attend local events which could lead to contacts and job offers. You may find other opportunities better though depending on your area of specialty. I used to attend OWASP, AISA and Thoughtworks events in Perth and ran an ANZTB SIG which is still going. None of these required membership, although I did join AISA as it was cheaper if you did.

Archived