Help with defacto visa

Anthony25

Hi am looking for help with a defacto visa I've been seeing my Australian girlfriend for nearly a year now at the moment am sorting a joint bank account for us that is literally all I know on this matter. I would appreciate anyone who's done this process to give me advice.

i don't have Facebook either and from what people have told me they need to see photos and stuff? I have everything on my phone going back from when we met will I have problems with having to show that to the Australian government?

I applied for a defacto visa a few years back. We had to supply evidence of living together (bills/joint bank accounts etc) plus photos, cards, letters that we had sent to each other. Plus we got statutory declarations from friends and family to say we were in a committed relationship.

It did the job as I got my visa. The more you have, the better.

A defacto relationship is the ongoing and continuing relationship between two people that are for all intents and purposes living as a married couple but without that one single aspect. You'll need more than pictures and a recently opened bank account - things they will ask for as proof maybe - rental/tenancy agreement in joint names, payment of joint bills, or bills where you have them individually but going to be same address. These will need to either date back some months, or you may need to spend the next year building up this kind of evidence.

You need to do quite a bit of your own research, and then ask questions here based on what you don't understand or where there are gaps in what you need to know.

There's this link: http://www.immi.gov.au/visas/pages/309-100.aspx

I would recommend printing and reading the partner migration booklet that's mentioned on the page. There's also a checklist somewhere, that I used, in conjunction with my own to do list.

And then you've got the "evidence that your relationship is genuine document" with the headings/examples of what you should put under each heading.

You need to work out what pieces of evidence you need for each section. I've posted my list of evidence many times before, and here goes again...!

• Tenancy agreement [current and previous]
  • Council tax bills showing both names
  • Utility bills - showing both names
  • Bank statements showing all transfers between our bank accounts for a year [we don't have a joint account] - printed out and marked up
  • Contents insurance in both names
  • Photos of us on holiday (1 per holiday)
  • Photos of me/us with each other's family members
  • Birthday cards from each other's families
  • Happy new home cards from friends/family
  • Xmas cards from friends/family
  • Wedding invite
  • Print outs of holiday/flight bookings for trips we've taken together
  • Diary entries showing when we met up [before living together]
  • Details of time spent apart [ie, my partner worked in abroad for three months, so I provided dates of the trips back to the UK and when I visited him]
  • Diary entries supporting when we met with each other's friends/family etc [social context of relationship - part of written statement/application]
  • Statutory declarations from friends and two Australian citizens - mandatory part of the application form

Archived