Question regarding grant and travel

kuroro2

So i've lodged an offshore application for 189 on the 27th of january. If all goes well i should get the grant by the first week of april.

So here's the thing, i have booked tickets, hotels and car rental for 15th of april (this will be a one week holiday). If by chance, i fail to get the grant in time, and apply for a tourist ETA (I'm from a country thats low risk), would that affect my application in any way? Im fine reentering the country later. Or what if i get the grant while in australia on a tourist visa/ETA?

Somewhat concerned about this conflict of visas.

• 2 weeks later...

If you get an ETA and come to Australia on that, it won't make any difference to your 189 application and 189s can be granted offshore or onshore so you won;t need to leave Australia for that grant to take place. Keep in mind though that the grant of a visa cancels any previous visa so you should apply for the ETA early enough that it will definitely be granted before the 189. If you wait until the last minute to apply for the ETA, there's a possibility that you could get the timing wrong and end up with a cancelled 189. FAR better for the 189 to cancel the ETA than the other way around!!

I don't entirely understand your circumstances, but shouldn't you have waited till the visa was issued before you booked the flights, hotels, etc? Apply for the tourist visa now 'just in case' the 189 does not arrive in time?

This is for a holiday that i had planned for awhile, its not really related to moving specifically. I won't need a tourist visa, but an ETA(electronic something) due to my country of residence. They are in essence the same thing. I was initially concerned if my applying for a ETA would cause some conflict with my 189 application

If you get an ETA and come to Australia on that, it won't make any difference to your 189 application and 189s can be granted offshore or onshore so you won;t need to leave Australia for that grant to take place. Keep in mind though that the grant of a visa cancels any previous visa so you should apply for the ETA early enough that it will definitely be granted before the 189. If you wait until the last minute to apply for the ETA, there's a possibility that you could get the timing wrong and end up with a cancelled 189. FAR better for the 189 to cancel the ETA than the other way around!!

OZmaniac this really is worrisome, because i lodged on the 27th of jan, and according to the visa tracker (that is now unviewable due to some restrictions?) grants have been given till 25th of jan. Im now really worried about apply for ETA as i may get the grant at any day. Or i might not get it till my flight which is 14th april, who's to say. Is this visa cancellation really true? Im now in a jam. You reckon i should call them?

The visa cancellation info is really true. If you have a CO for your 189, email them and tell them your situation. That may speed up the 189 grant, otherwise, your CO should be able to tell you exactly what you should do to avoid the problem.

The visa cancellation info is really true. If you have a CO for your 189, email them and tell them your situation. That may speed up the 189 grant, otherwise, your CO should be able to tell you exactly what you should do to avoid the problem.

Don't have a CO yet, goodness me. Never mind i have till the 14th, hopefully i get a co or grant(front loaded all) way before then, so i can sort out the situation.

Don't have a CO yet, goodness me. Never mind i have till the 14th, hopefully i get a co or grant(front loaded all) way before then, so i can sort out the situation.

If you front loaded you probably have a case officer without knowing it. They don't contact you unless they want something.

Archived