FBI clearance

bobby122

Thanks, managed to answer my own question eventually! The FBI don't hold them all, I reckon Americans would soon shout about civil liberties if they did

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/explainer/2005/04/does_the_fbi_have_your_fingerprints.html

Not sure about the FBI holding them, but I had my fingerprints taken when I passed my driving test in Texas!

• 2 weeks later...

Reading on other forums, it seems it's taking around 2.5 months from receiving the application to the payment being taken, and then another 2-3 weeks to actually get the clearance. I am hoping my payment will be taken by the end of the month!

Meanwhile I just got my UK police check back in about 9 days.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hi guys,

Today I sealed the envelope of my FBI clearance application ready for posting tomorrow. I'd been having trouble finding somewhere to do fingerprints (all the local police stations charge for 72 pounds for 1 set), in the end I got my stepdad who is ex-police to do a few sets of them - but the amount of rejected applications I've read about is worrying! Anyway, the process time is around 12-16 weeks, my police checks aren't due until June so thought I'd just get it done and hopefully all sorted for then.

Has anyone else sent your FBI clearance off lately? Anyone been waiting a while? Any experiences of rejections?

What the **** is an fbi check .. Watching too much American shite

Hi Silverchair, great news! I haven't received mine yet, and I am not sure if taking the payment means the prints are ok or not (Hopefully though!)

What the **** is an fbi check .. Watching too much American shite

It's a police background check...from the FBI...

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update on the fbi pcc status. .... I was following up on the Canadian forum about the opening dates n processing dates of the fbi. .... they're quite accurate btw! Long story short, our fingerprints hv been accepted and we received the pcc just yesterday! Just hv to get it copied n certified n uploaded! This is good news too for anyone who wants to take a try at doing your fingerprints at home by yourself. It does work :) but we did practice a lot n sent them 3 or 4 sheets. ...

Just a quick update on the fbi pcc status. .... I was following up on the Canadian forum about the opening dates n processing dates of the fbi. .... they're quite accurate btw! Long story short, our fingerprints hv been accepted and we received the pcc just yesterday! Just hv to get it copied n certified n uploaded! This is good news too for anyone who wants to take a try at doing your fingerprints at home by yourself. It does work :) but we did practice a lot n sent them 3 or 4 sheets. ...

So I had bad news today :( The FBI rejected my prints! It is quite disappointing after sending them nearly 4 months ago. Will have to get them resent ASAP! This really throws my timeline off!!

I am just being nosey so tell me to bugger off if you like but you are in the UK and going to Australia? If so why do you need FBI clearance ?

I lived in New York from 2009-12, proper pain in the arse getting this check though, crazy an organisation like the FBI take 3-4 months whereas my UK one came back within a week!

I lived in New York from 2009-12, proper pain in the arse getting this check though, crazy an organisation like the FBI take 3-4 months whereas my UK one came back within a week!

That's ridiculous, so even though you are applying g from the UK you still need FBI clearance, wow. I never think of American organisations as particularly efficient to be honestly.

That's ridiculous, so even though you are applying g from the UK you still need FBI clearance, wow. I never think of American organisations as particularly efficient to be honestly.

You have to get a police check for any country you have lived in for 12 months or more, over the last 10 years, since turning 16 years of age.If you get nicked in another country they don't tell the UK about your record so you need to get a police check from that country.

That's terrible news bobby122 :( it's understandably frustrating that the process to know that takes 4 months. I hope they get their act together soon and shorten the turnaround time. Hopefully your case officer will understand. I dunno if you sent multiple prints to them, but i think you should send at least 3 to 5 FD-258 forms in your application, just so that they are clear. Also, they have a document which states how to fill the fields in the form: http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/103665.pdf

The FBI has a document on their website which shows you what prints are acceptable or not. These links would probably help:

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/fingerprints_biometrics/recording-legible-fingerprints/capturing-legible-fingerprints'>https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/fingerprints_biometrics/recording-legible-fingerprints/capturing-legible-fingerprints

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/fingerprints_biometrics/recording-legible-fingerprints

Hope it works out soon!

That's terrible news bobby122 :( it's understandably frustrating that the process to know that takes 4 months. I hope they get their act together soon and shorten the turnaround time. Hopefully your case officer will understand. I dunno if you sent multiple prints to them, but i think you should send at least 3 to 5 FD-258 forms in your application, just so that they are clear. Also, they have a document which states how to fill the fields in the form: http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/103665.pdf

The FBI has a document on their website which shows you what prints are acceptable or not. These links would probably help:

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/fingerprints_biometrics/recording-legible-fingerprints/capturing-legible-fingerprints'>https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/fingerprints_biometrics/recording-legible-fingerprints/capturing-legible-fingerprints

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/fingerprints_biometrics/recording-legible-fingerprints

Hope it works out soon!

Thanks for the links Silverchair,

I went to the local police station this morning and they did me a few sets (for free) - they told me over the phone it was 72 pounds for one set which is why I didn't go there in the first place! And I sent them off to FBI today.

To me, they don't look much different to the prints I sent last time. I'm not very confident now after last ones were rejected. Can't afford to wait another 4 months if these ones are rejected as well! I really need to have them done electronically but no idea where??

My problem is I leave for Oz on Sunday to a tiny town in Tassie, where I am sure the likelihood of me finding somewhere to do fingerprints electronically is pretty much nil.

Is there any way to use a FBI Channeller, even if you aren't a US Citizen or PR? Will they really know the difference if I tick the 'yes' box instead of no?!

My problem is I leave for Oz on Sunday to a tiny town in Tassie, where I am sure the likelihood of me finding somewhere to do fingerprints electronically is pretty much nil.

Ah yes one of those Tasmanian towns where you need 2 passport photos ☺

Good luck with the new set, hopefully they won't take 4 months.

Nope. ..... channellers are just for ppl currently in the us: I think you would physically hv to be in those states to take prints with them. We did our prints at home ourself. With regular stationery ink pads. But that's cos there are no finger print services in the country we live in. Hope For the best! Good luck with your move this Sunday!

• 2 months later...

Has anyone had their FBI check processed lately? What kind of timescale are they working to?

Was hoping the backlog may have been cleared but it's probably just getting bigger!

They have had a set of mine for nearly 8 weeks now, and another set for 6-7 weeks (sent 2 to try and make sure at least one gets accepted!) Still not had credit card charged, hoping it's not going to take 16 weeks again :(

• 3 weeks later...
I realise I may be talking to myself here, but if anyone needs to know current time-scales, mine was received July 6th and CC charged today. So just shy of 11 weeks!

That's good news Bobby122. hopefully everything goes well! You've gotten your PCC done twice, and here we're still waiting for a grant! It really is a long journey!

Good luck!

Archived