cost of living

Deeney4

We have just applied for our visa and if everything goes to plans we will be in Darwin for the beginning of August.

We are a family of four and were wondering anyone out there living in the Darwin are could you please tell me your monthly bills so I can start getting an idea of pricing.

Thanks

I can't speak for Darwin in particular, although because it's isolated, I'd expect things to be a bit more expensive than the bigger cities (because it's more expensive to transport goods in).

I do know that housing can be expensive. A lot of young families live in Palmerston instead of in Darwin itself. I used to own a three-bedroom house there and sold it last year for $500k.

A good rule of thumb is to take the salary you need to live comfortably in the UK and instead of converting it to Aussie dollars at the real exchange rate (which is about 2), convert it at 2.5. That will give you the salary you'd need in Australia to live at the same level. So for instance, if you need a salary of £50,000 to live on in the UK, you'd need a salary of $125,000 in Australia.

• 2 weeks later...

Our experience is: There are 2 of us and we pay $420 a week for a spacious two bedroom unit in Darwin CBD. We have friends renting a 3 bedroom house for anything up to $620 a week. Our food shopping is between $150-$200 per week. Our last power bill was $350 for the quarter, the one before that $215 but we only have air conditioning in the bedrooms (and as my partner hates the sound rarely use it!). People have complained of having power bills in excess of $1K a quarter, especially over the wet season. Parking in the City can be expensive from $2.40 an hour in the CBD to $5 a day in large car parks. Meals out can be $40-$100 easily depending on where you eat. Drinking can be pricey but there are lots of social club type set ups where the drinks are cheaper, especially if you become a member. We don't use our car a lot and can get away with $50 fuel a month but used to live in the rural area and spend $50 twice per week driving 70KM into Darwin CBD each day! If you want to buy then Palmerston may be a better option (they have heaps of new builds and deals for first time buyers) but they also say the property market is slowing in the next year or so, so could be a good time to buy.

Thank you so much lawyergal that's brilliant information. Are you enjoying it in Darwin we are so excited. The cost isn't that bad really tbf that's pretty much the prices I have researched just wanted to hear it from someone living there. Thanks sweetie xx