Lived in Oz for two years

Guest clairebear bester

Guest clairebear bester

Hi everyone, we (my husband and I and two daughters aged 6 & 7) Migrated to Oz two years ago for the climate and different way of life. We were lucky that in the UK we lived outside the hustle & bustle but still craved a different lifestyle for our children, (maybe not now but as teenagers, just didn't want to pass an off licence and see my children standing there with nothing else to do!) We arrived at Melbourne and didn't like the fact that it was city living and that the climate was very much like the UK. We were also shocked at the cost of food shopping, clothes etc and that even though Ozzie's may still speak the same lingo there way of life, out look and humor is completely different. Melburnians are too busy to socialize. With all this in mind we still loved the country and there were so many other plus points but after 2 years decided to look at WHY we migrated and agreed that it was for climate, beaches and relaxed way of life. Well we shipped the contents of our home and moved to Sunshine Coast and WOW it is so beautiful, this place is paradise but work is very hard to come by. We have been here 6 weeks and every weekend and after school we either get a boat and go fishing or take the surf boards down to the beach. All I can say is it all here if you want it, but do not look through rose tinted glasses, for this life ANYWHERE around the world you have to work hard. Nothing is free, BUT there are so many things to do if you work hard for them. I asked my eldest daughter if she wanted to stay or go back to England, she said she didn't mind where, she has had a two year adventure and loved every minute. Just remember that you have to start again with friendships and this is extremely hard to do. Hope this helps anyone. :)

Guest Missiemo
Hi everyone, we (my husband and I and two daughters aged 6 & 7) Migrated to Oz two years ago for the climate and different way of life. We were lucky that in the UK we lived outside the hustle & bustle but still craved a different lifestyle for our children, (maybe not now but as teenagers, just didn't want to pass an off licence and see my children standing there with nothing else to do!) We arrived at Melbourne and didn't like the fact that it was city living and that the climate was very much like the UK. We were also shocked at the cost of food shopping, clothes etc and that even though Ozzie's may still speak the same lingo there way of life, out look and humor is completely different. Melburnians are too busy to socialize. With all this in mind we still loved the country and there were so many other plus points but after 2 years decided to look at WHY we migrated and agreed that it was for climate, beaches and relaxed way of life. Well we shipped the contents of our home and moved to Sunshine Coast and WOW it is so beautiful, this place is paradise but work is very hard to come by. We have been here 6 weeks and every weekend and after school we either get a boat and go fishing or take the surf boards down to the beach. All I can say is it all here if you want it, but do not look through rose tinted glasses, for this life ANYWHERE around the world you have to work hard. Nothing is free, BUT there are so many things to do if you work hard for them. I asked my eldest daughter if she wanted to stay or go back to England, she said she didn't mind where, she has had a two year adventure and loved every minute. Just remember that you have to start again with friendships and this is extremely hard to do. Hope this helps anyone. :)

Claire

That was a fantastic post, I could not have put it better myself.

We have only been here four months, and I am still very unsure about how I feel.

My girls love the life here and have settled really well.

The cost of food is quite shocking, as with clothes.

The auzzies are very proud people and are great believers in looking after there own, ie farmers supplying food etc, good on them

The driving here does my head in, you get frowed at if you let another driver out of a junction, weird

There humour and blunt way of talking I sometimes find offensive.

The radio station well that is another story.

On the up side, we spend more time now at the beach and outside then we ever did back home, and the sceanery is truly breathtaking

Take Care

Mo

Guest Missiemo

Claire

That was a fantastic post, I could not have put it better myself.

We have only been here four months, and I am still very unsure about how I feel.

My girls love the life here and have settled really well.

The cost of food is quite shocking, as with clothes.

The auzzies are very proud people and are great believers in looking after there own, ie farmers supplying food etc, good on them

The driving here does my head in, you get frowed at if you let another driver out of a junction, weird

There humour and blunt way of talking I sometimes find offensive.

The radio station well that is another story.

On the up side, we spend more time now at the beach and outside then we ever did back home, and the sceanery is truly breathtaking

Take Care

Mo

Archived