De-Facto on a Bridging? 189 visa

hachihead

I'm currently waiting on my skills assesment to come back from Engineers Australia(due in a few weeks).

My defacto partner to be(all proof etc there) is in the UK. Once I apply for the 189 and get my EOI and accept the invitation, I then go on a bridging correct? If she is associated as a defacto on my application, can she enter Australia once the bridging visa is granted? Is there an extra form or application which needs to be done/can be done??

Thanks in advance

It is difficult to be a "defacto partner to be". You can be a prospective marriage partner, but defacto means that the situation you are currently in is a marriage in all but name. You must be living together as man and wife (or same sex couple), having a common social, financial, domestic situation. You can't bring someone in on the promise that they will be in that position - they must be in that position already.

we have been in a relationship since Sept 2102 with all the proof, she had to return home due to a parent being ill and ultimately passing away. Due to the fact her 417 visa ran out since she has been gone she currently has no visa to return.

As I believe it is a case by case basis is this something that would be considered by the DIBP? Would it be more beneficial if she was to return here on a holiday visa or something so that we are both in the country?

Thanks for the reply.

we have been in a relationship since Sept 2102 with all the proof, she had to return home due to a parent being ill and ultimately passing away. Due to the fact her 417 visa ran out since she has been gone she currently has no visa to return.

As I believe it is a case by case basis is this something that would be considered by the DIBP? Would it be more beneficial if she was to return here on a holiday visa or something so that we are both in the country?

Thanks for the reply.

I think you should talk to a registered migration agent. To me - a layman - it doesn't sound like a defacto relationship but an RMA would be able to offer advice based on experience.

A bridging visa, bridges you from one visa once it expires until the other is granted, by keeping you lawful in Australia. Your partner will not be granted a bridging visa as she is not in Australia and the holder of a visa.

If she retuned on a visitors visa before you apply for the visa she would be granted a bridging visa which would kick in once the visitors visa expired.

After spending a year year on a WHV she may have to show higher level of evidence that she is a genuine visitor.

Archived