Getting a Tax File Number from the UK

Guest Glen & Shirl

Guest Glen & Shirl

Hi again everyone, another really puzzling question of ours.

Can we get a TFN from the UK rather than wait until we enter Australia, like the department of immigration application form states.

The reason we want to do this is we will be transferring funds beforehand (providing the rate changes!) to our aussie bank account and do not want to get charged the high tax rate that you do if you have not got one. If not, can we claim back this tax from the bank once we get there?

Several agencies approach you at expos we have gone to saying they can get you several things sorted from the UK, this being one of them, so there must be a way of doing this.

Thanks in advance as any info would be appreciated.

Shirley & Glen

Guest dellawarren99@hotmail.com

if on permanant visa you need to wait til you get to Oz before you get TFN and you do this on line only when you have been through customs and your passport stamped etc

Guest mandy1

Hi

I don't think you can as the previous poster says you need to do it online when you get here and have an Australian address to have it sent to

Mandy x

Guest adey

you can't get a TFN before you land as you need an aussie address, however, if you do bring money over beforehand as far as I can remember you won't pay the higher tax as long as you have your TFN before the financial year end (June) after that you will need to apply for a rebate. Try Allan Collett's threads I'm sure that's where I read it previously as I know its been asked many times.

As long as you notify the bank of your TFN when you have it they will put back any charges taken from your account.You are supposed to wait until you enter Oz and are on the system ,it takes 10 mins to apply on line and the number arrives about 5-7 days later in the post.Hope this helps

Cal x

Guest Laura G

Hi,

When transferring funds to Oz, any movements made within 6 months of your entry date are tax free. The only tax you pay is on any interest that you may earn once it has been subsequently deposited. Which is normal for any person in Oz and this happens in the UK to.

Any payments after 6 months that show up on the radar could be liable for tax. Once you have made the move, you are supposed to open another account with HIFX in Sydney for example and any subsequent trades that you make after your arrival are supposed to be carried out by the Ozzie Office (It's for tax and money laundering reasons)

I have been here for more than two years and have brought over smaller amounts since my arrival, anything from 1000.00 pounds to 8000.00 and have never been required to pay tax on these amounts, even after the 6 month period had lapsed.

Laura

Guest AndrewL
As long as you notify the bank of your TFN when you have it they will put back any charges taken from your account.You are supposed to wait until you enter Oz and are on the system ,it takes 10 mins to apply on line and the number arrives about 5-7 days later in the post.Hope this helps

Cal x

Hi, the bank will not refund the excess tax they deduct. This has to be done via your tax return. To get a TFN, you need your visa and an Australian address to send the TFN to. The visa is probably your sticking point as I am unsure if they can assess whether you have entered the country or not. With respect to the address, perhaps you have a friend in Australia where who can receive it for you? TFNs generally take a month to process and be received.

Guest AndrewL
Hi,

When transferring funds to Oz, any movements made within 6 months of your entry date are tax free. The only tax you pay is on any interest that you may earn once it has been subsequently deposited. Which is normal for any person in Oz and this happens in the UK to.

Any payments after 6 months that show up on the radar could be liable for tax. Once you have made the move, you are supposed to open another account with HIFX in Sydney for example and any subsequent trades that you make after your arrival are supposed to be carried out by the Ozzie Office (It's for tax and money laundering reasons)

I have been here for more than two years and have brought over smaller amounts since my arrival, anything from 1000.00 pounds to 8000.00 and have never been required to pay tax on these amounts, even after the 6 month period had lapsed.

Laura

Hi Laura,

You are getting mixed up with transferring pensions into Australia and having PR. Transferring funds, so long as your foreign account is not >A$250k, is not an issue at all.

Westpac put $500 back into one of my clients accounts.They deposited it before they arrived ,applied for a TFN the week they did get here and activated the account which was when they noticed $500gone ,recievd TFN the week later,told the bank who then put the money back???????maybe it was a one off who knows but it did happen.

Cal x

Guest AndrewL
Westpac put $500 back into one of my clients accounts.They deposited it before they arrived ,applied for a TFN the week they did get here and activated the account which was when they noticed $500gone ,recievd TFN the week later,told the bank who then put the money back???????maybe it was a one off who knows but it did happen.

Cal x

It sounds like they didn't have your client's TFN so they could never have paid the tax across to the ATO in the first place, as they wouldn't have a tax record to put it against. How bizarre!

The problem with the Australian tax system is that once taxes have been withheld, they are locked in the system.

Archived