Any other hairdressers out there applying for vetassess?

Vickiw89

Thanks ozmaniac! That's good news for me. I assume that we don't have to stay in one place, as long as it's a regional area?

Any eligible regional area is OK under the conditions currently attached to 489s. It's probably only a matter of time until holders are restricted to regional areas in the sponsoring state but that hasn't happened yet.

Oh gosh Laura I'm so sorry, I shouldn't have said about mine. Have they said why? I haven't had an email or anything yet it just says it on my vetassess page. Hopefully they can give you a reason as to why. Do you have to do it again or can you do a practical? Im so sorry :(

No I shouldn't have said anything, I'm so sorry, I feel awful! Hopefully they can tell you what it was that you failed on, and then do a little practical on it. I must admit a practical would be a better option for hairdressing, I find it easier to show what you are doing rather than tell someone.

I still have a long way to go before I put in my EOI, I wouldn't be surprised if you apply before I do!

Ah don't Worrie sure I will just do it again. But a practical would be so much easier. At least I will be more prepared though. I just hope NT don't take hairdressing off the list in July then I'm screwed :-)

ill let you know if they can tell me where I went wrong.

Hi vicky. Yeah I'm a hairdresser ☺ I suppose I'm just finding the whole thing a bit overwhelming trying to get all the paperwork together and worrying about the technical assessment, providing I get that far, I'm applying for PR for myself and my bf. We we're told we.'d have to get a state sponsored visa and it would be through the northern territory! Did you do the technical assessment?

How many years experience do you have? The paperwork is exhausting to get together! I sent a thick wad of paper for mine. The most difficult bit was comparing the units of competency to what I had learnt and labeling it all, it took forever and I struggled to get my head around it. Have you got all your paperwork ready already?

yes I did the technical interview in Manchester 3 weeks ago and got the results today. The first part of my skills assessment took two weeks to become succesful, the same as Laura (above). I was prepared for 10-12 weeks for the first part, not sure why it was so quick!

I think I deleted my reply! It might take me a bit to get use to this. Congrats on passing the assessment. I'm qualified almost 10 years now. I'm just waiting on 1 reference letter from a former employer and then I'll be able to get what I needed certified and sent off. In the assessment was there anything that you would have studied more on or was it general stuff we'd kinda know!?

With 10 years experience I'm sure you eligible to apply for tasmania and qld too? Have a look on anzsco search, that gives you a bit more info.

i won't lie, the technical interview was bloody hard. They ask you everything, from facial shaves whether you do them or not. I don't do chemical straightening and was asked a question on it, there was colour theory that I wasn't sure of. If you look at the older posts in this thread me and Laura are talking about some of the questions we were asked. We had some weird questions too!

Yes please let me know how you get on! Fingers are crossed that NT and QLD keep on the csol until were ready to apply!

I heard back form vetassess. I can get my interview assessed for free and I will find out where I went wrong. This will take 2 weeks. Then I can resit the interview only been asked the questions that I have failed. So at least I will know exactly what to expect. And the fee is $800 which is good I was expecting full price.. feeling positive:-)

Hi edel welcome.

Do you have your videos made for the first stage?

Vicki has kinda covered everything else!

I would say look over your book from college if you still have it.

I was also asked questions about how I would section a graduated bob and how I would hold my fingers while cutting!!

How I would pin up a french roll.

They sound straight forward but I found when not having a head in front of me it was harder to explain it.

I heard back form vetassess. I can get my interview assessed for free and I will find out where I went wrong. This will take 2 weeks. Then I can resit the interview only been asked the questions that I have failed. So at least I will know exactly what to expect. And the fee is $800 which is good I was expecting full price.. feeling positive:-)

Ahh that's good news then! At least you will know what questions will come up and it wont last the full time, that's good!

Ooh yes I forgot about the videos, very important! I felt so stupid talking to a camera! But worth it!

Hi Laura, no I've just organised my models, it was hard to find someone to get a perm. So I should have the video's done next week. Did you do a video for up styling? I can't up style at all. I can talk through up styles but that would be all. When you we're asked about the graduate bob did you give angles? Like your 45/90 degree angles, I'll really need to brush up, it's so different explaining things than just doing it. Best of luck when you do your retest

Hi edel I didn't put in video for upstyle but I sent pictures from my portfolio I probably should had because then I might not of been asked to explain french roll.

My advice with the videos would be to put as many in as you can because the more areas you cover in you videos the less questions you will be asked in the interview.

I found it hard to explain graduated bob even though I cut them all the time. He asked me what way I would hold my fingers nothing about angles I said I would hold my 2 cutting fingers upwards, and he couldn't understand this he wanted me to change my answer because he kept saying why and would it not be a better position to point fingers downwards. I didn't change my answer and he just said Mmm and let's move on. In my college book it shows pics of demo and the fingers are pointed upwards. So I feel I answered this right.

Ye i would deffo brush up I will put up a few more of the questions I was asked that I can remember.

What are the underlying colours of the hair?

What is the underlying colours of a level 5,7,9?

Name the primary and secondary colours?

Is the medulla present in all hair types?

What are the three sections of the hair if the hair was split in half?

Name the 3 stages of the hair growth?

What way would you hold your fingers when cutting a graduated bob?

How would you section and apply a high lift to Virgin hair?

How can you tell when a perm is ready to be neutralised?

Name 3 hazards in the salon and explain how you would fix it?

How do you know when to neutralise a chemical straightening?

What counteracts green, red, purple etc.?

When shaving a man's beard how would you taunt the skin?

How would you scissors over comb a man's hair?

How would you put up a french roll?

• Like 1

Ye and I think when your put under pressure in an exam situation it makes it worse. At least if you start revising now you should be good for the interview :-)

good luck making your video's it is quiet time consuming and get someone to help you. I had my sister behind the camera to zoom in for detail. The first tint I videoed by myself it was just my back in the video I hadent fully thought it through so I had to get another model!! Good luck!