Help with Melbourne

Sarahb1986

Hi everyone,

This is my first post on here.

Me and my husband started our visa application in December 2014, he is a nurse so that is our way in!

He has just passed IELTS and now waiting for the assessment to come through to submit our EOI.

I have a couple of questions.....

Northcote or Yarraville?

From what I have researched they both seem great, Yarraville very up and coming.

We would be looking for easy access to open spaces, close to water of some sort, good social activities such as cafes and restaurants. We would be looking to rent a house with a budget of about $600 per week.

Northcote looks cool with a different kind of vibe and properties look great here.

2nd question relates to my profession, although I doubt I will find anyone on here who does the same job as me! I am a Product Development Manager for a large food manufacturing company working on chilled, short shelf life products. I would be looking to do an equivalent job in Melbourne.

From what I have seen there seems to be lots of jobs advertised, even if I had to drop down a level I wouldn't mind.

If anyone has any advice I would be really grateful!!

Thank you ?

Northcote or Yarraville?

From what I have researched they both seem great, Yarraville very up and coming.

We would be looking for easy access to open spaces, close to water of some sort, good social activities such as cafes and restaurants.

Hi there!

Northcote and Yarraville are both great, edgy, trendy inner city areas. But if that's what you're looking for, why restrict yourself to those 2? Although they would both be great for cafes and restaurants, neither springs to mind as having easy access to open spaces or being close to water.

Have you considered St Kilda? That would fulfil the close to water bit and also cafes and restaurants. And also open spaces as Albert Park is next door.

BB

Hi BB,

Hank you for the reply.

They were the two places when reading up seemed to jump out at me.

I haven't read great things about St Kilda, dirty, very busy etc.

Northcote looked like it was quite close to a lot of parks and Yarraville near the river....

Sarah

Hi BB,

Hank you for the reply.

They were the two places when reading up seemed to jump out at me.

I haven't read great things about St Kilda, dirty, very busy etc.

Northcote looked like it was quite close to a lot of parks and Yarraville near the river....

Sarah

I'd say don't rule out St Kilda. Also look at South Yarra, Prahran, Fitzroy, Carlton and Brunswick.

BB

I will re-look at St Kilda then!

South Yarra I have read good things about too.

I suppose until we get there and have a good look around who knows where we will settle!!

Definitely!

You are bound to try and research and make decisions from the other side of the world (we all did!) but once you are here all that research may go out of the window once you see places yourself.

BB

I would keep your options open and find out where your oh is going to be working. Their are hospitals in the inner city but others are further out of the city and if working shifts not ideal to have a long commute. Also he would probably need to drive to the hospital and depending where you lived would depend on his commute.

Food production also takes place in the outer areas where the industrial areas are. So you may also like to find somewhere where you will have a reasonable commute as well.

Also depends on your budget, the closer to the CBD the more expensive and small the accommodation.

Guest GarySawers

Hey how are you,

I'm actually from Scotland and emigrated nearly a year ago, we have been living in Yarraville for around 8 months now and I can safely say in my experience is the best suburb in Melbourne.

It has three parks off the top one with a dinosaur of my head is actually close to water as williamstown beach is ten minutes drive away, city access is around 15 mins in the train.

The area does have a lovely vibe great restaurants, cafés and probably the best cinema in the sun theatre in Melbourne!

Feel free to ask any more questions on the area,

Kind Regards

Gary

Edited by GarySawers

Both are nice but I would say don't decide until you're here & can look around - by all means have some places on a list but get a holiday let for a couple of weeks or so & do some exploring before making any firm decisions. We moved to Melbourne 6 months ago & thought we were going to live Bayside but when we got here we didn't care for it so did a complete about-turn & are now living in a suburb near the bush & it's just perfect for us :-)

Both greats areas ! What I didn't realise before moving here though is that whilst places can look quite close on the map, traffic and the way the road system is here can often mean much longer travel times .. so if you really want to be near water, such as the river or ocean then I'd also consider Albert Park, Elwood, Middle Park.

Good Luck !