North Shores of Sydney??

wheezie

Hi, does anyone live up here by sea. we are thinking of moving to Collaroy/Narrabeen/Dee Why area and wondered what it is like. How easy is it to get to city centre? BUses?? I heard driving is a nightmare now. we have 2 kids, aged 4 and 1. Do you know if there is much going on? Livng in Brisbane at mo but may end up down this way. Thanks

wheezie

Guest dazla

Hi Gizmo

I`m considering renting in the North shore when I come out in June. I've read there are ferry services from the North Shore to the CBD? How long do these take to get to the CBD and are they reliable. I don`t particularly want to drive into the CBD.

Regards

Daz

Guest dazla

Hi Gizmo

I`m considering renting in the North shore when I come out in June. I've read there are ferry services from the North Shore to the CBD? How long do these take to get to the CBD and are they reliable. I don`t particularly want to drive into the CBD.

Regards

Daz

Hi Gizmo

Regards

Daz[/quote

Hi Daz

Ferry goes from Clifden Gardens/Mosman, Manly<Netural Bay

thats all i can think off at the mo go to Circular key & take approx 25mins have a look at

Sydney Ferries - Home

gizmo

Guest fannyadams

The are buses that go from Dee Why to Manly and from there you can get the ferry,

(30 mins) or the jet cat (15 mins) to Circular Quay. Jet cat is slightly more expensive but would be great for a commute as it is so fast.

Guest Dave 'n' Sam

You can catch an express bus from Dee Why that will take approx 50 mins to get to Wynard in the CBD. These buses only run in rush hour mind though but the service is regular in that time. A bus from Dee Why to Manly will take approx 30 mins, add on connection time and the 30 mins ferry and you are looking at well over an hour to do it that way....

For Narrobean and Collaroy add on another 10 minutes for the express bus.

Hope that helps

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Ady Whit

Hi, We live in Warriewood and can honestly say it is a hassle to get into the city if you have to in the mornings, but no worse than experienced in any busy Uk town.

It is more than made up for though by living in the best area in Sydney in my opinion. It is a very friendly safe area, the beaches are fantastic and when you are here it does not have a big city feel.

However the downside of all this is that it is incredibly expensive, an average family house will cost you at least $750,000. Rentals are not cheap either with a nice family home starting at around $550.00 per week.

The schools on the whole are great and there are lots of sports clubs/surf clubs to join if you are into that sort of thing. The Nightlife with the exception of Manly is fairly limited compared to the UK.

Hope this helps!!

Thanks Andy

The lack of nightlife certainly appeals to us. And $550 week or 750K to buys sounds a bargain in comparison to where we are at mo. so its sounding even better. we in brisbnae city and the prices are really rocketing. when i look at realestate.com there is hardly much difference. i guess being right in Sydney city would make it more expensive. when u say traffic and journey a pain how long would you say by bus to CBD. In kms it didnt seem so much yet looked like bus took 50mins, almost as fast to cycle although prob not so safe.

Guest Bridgend Lad

Living in Narraweena, a short walk to Dee Why.

No trains up here, buses are frequent but take about an hour. To get anywhere at a decent time in the morning you'd need to leave by 6.30, but that's the same as most UK's cities I reckon.

To be fair there is quite a bit to do but you need to break the locals down, once done so they're a good bunch.

Manly is mad, my opinion is unless your single don't go there, the rest is fine.

Hope this helps.

Guest Phatgecko

Hi Daz

Ive just moved out here to Sydney and im living in St Leonards on the north shore. It takes only takes around 10-15 mins max to get to CBD from here on the train and they are very frequent. If you go by car however it will take much longer as traffic is really bad - esp in mornings and early evenings.

Paul

Guest dazla

Hi Bridgend Lad

You say that you 'need to break the locals down'. How did you find the locals when you first arrived, did you find it easy to make freinds with them or was it hard?

p.s are there many welshies in the De Why area? I`m from Newport

Cheers

Daz

• 2 months later...
Guest Bridgend Lad

Just get out there and speak to them to be honest, tell them it's a nice place and they strat liking you, but does take a while.

Didn't thinkk there were too many Welsh here until I went to see Manly play; quite a few down there, near the bar surprsingly! Also met loads from Wales in Manly when I went to watch the Calzaghe Hopkins fight.

Sorry this is a reply to an old message, only just looked back in! Drop us aline if you fancy a beer.

Hi Bridgend Lad

You say that you 'need to break the locals down'. How did you find the locals when you first arrived, did you find it easy to make freinds with them or was it hard?

p.s are there many welshies in the De Why area? I`m from Newport

Cheers

Daz

Archived