resident or non resident for tax purposes

pmckin14

Hi All

We have arrived in Australia on the 5th January, and my partner started work on the 28th January. We will have lived here just under 6 months by the time the new tax year comes

From what I read you are a resident for tax purposes if:

[TABLE=width: 1000]

[TR]

[TD]· have always lived in Australia or you have come to Australia to live permanently

· you have been in Australia continuously for six months or more, and for most of that time you worked in the one job and lived at the same place

· have been in Australia for more than six months of the income year (unless your usual home is overseas and you do not intend to live in Australia - for example, you are a working holiday maker)

· you go overseas temporarily and you do not set up a permanent home in another country, or

· are an overseas student enrolled in a course of study for more than six months duration.

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

We have moved to Adelaide to live permanently ( we are on a provisional 489 visa) and have no plans to go back, do we class ourselves as residents for tax purposes or as we wont have reached the 6 months by July will we be non residents this tax year?

Thanks sorry the more I read the more im confusinf myself :arghh:

Hi All

We have arrived in Australia on the 5th January, and my partner started work on the 28th January.

We have moved to Adelaide to live permanently ( we are on a provisional 489 visa) and have no plans to go back, do we class ourselves as residents for tax purposes or as we wont have reached the 6 months by July will we be non residents this tax year?

The conditions you listed aren't "ands", they're "ors". So if you satisfy ONE of those conditions, you're classed as resident. Since you came to live permanently, that satisfies one of the conditions so you're resident from the day you arrived.

Archived