Change occupation on a 457?

Wombat84

I did a search for this topic and didn't come across anything on the first few pages, but apologies if this has been asked before.

I'm on a 457 visa and there's a possibility that I may lose my job in a month or so (nothing to do with me, just due to the economy), so am just thinking about my options. I know I then have 90 days to find another company who is willing to sponsor me, but what I haven't really been able to find information on is if it has to be the same occupation as you were first sponsored for? I am assuming yes, but that makes it rather frustrating because the occupation I am sponsored under is quite similar to another couple of occupations, which also have job descriptions that match quite closely with what I am doing now.

(I've only been on this visa for a year so can't apply for PR yet)

If you find another sponsor for the same occupation, you don't need a new 457. If the new employer doesn't already have sponsorship approval, they must apply for that and all sponsors must lodge a new Nomination. If the sponsorship and nomination are approved, your existing 457 is transferred to the new employer.

If you want to change occupation, your existing 457 can't be transferred to the new employer and you must apply for a new 457 from scratch. If the new employer doesn't already have sponsorship approval, they must also apply for that and all sponsors must lodge a new Nomination.

and just so you know, you cannot legally work for anyone until you are sponsored. the process to become sponsored, IF the compny is already an approved sponsor takes up to 4 weeks. if they are NOT approved that can take up to 3 months. you cannot legally work anywhere for anyone until sponsored. hence why i have so much time on my hands, currently waiting for a 457 transfer.

I did a search for this topic and didn't come across anything on the first few pages, but apologies if this has been asked before.

I'm on a 457 visa and there's a possibility that I may lose my job in a month or so (nothing to do with me, just due to the economy), so am just thinking about my options. I know I then have 90 days to find another company who is willing to sponsor me, but what I haven't really been able to find information on is if it has to be the same occupation as you were first sponsored for? I am assuming yes, but that makes it rather frustrating because the occupation I am sponsored under is quite similar to another couple of occupations, which also have job descriptions that match quite closely with what I am doing now.

No, it does not have to be in the same occupation.

You can transfer your 457 visa to a different sponsor under a different occupation, as long as you meet the skills requirement for the new occupation.

Hmm, seems to be two different answers here!

Also what's the difference between having to apply for a 457 all over again and transferring? For transferring I understand that the new company has to be an approved sponsor, but then what? Do they nominate me, as happens when you first apply for a 457 visa, or is it a different form?

Trust the answer from @Raul Senise. He's the professional and knows far more than I do. I thought my answer was accurate. I know his will be.

I'll answer the other part in case Raul doesn't see your post.

I'm pretty sure the following is correct. They must nominate you in the same way as for your first 457 and the form is the same but you don't need to lodge a visa application and you don't get a new visa. The old one is simply transferred to the new employer and expires when it would otherwise have expired - it doesn't start from scratch again.

Hmm, seems to be two different answers here!

Also what's the difference between having to apply for a 457 all over again and transferring? For transferring I understand that the new company has to be an approved sponsor, but then what? Do they nominate me, as happens when you first apply for a 457 visa, or is it a different form?

The new employer has to nominate you for a position, as would have happened with your current employment.

Once the nomination is approved, you can commence working for the new employer. Your 457 visa will continue to be valid.

You can nominate a different occupation, as long as your meet the skill requirement for the new occupation. If you are not sure on this point, it may be worthwhile getting some advice.

• 8 months later...

Just as a side note you can apply for PR anytime if you are eligable

Archived