Can you keep your UK credit card when you move to Oz?

Guest Pinhead

Guest Pinhead

I was thinking of keeping my UK credit card and changing the address to my parents (statements are online anyway) up until I saw Watchdog last night regarding the banks stopping your card usage due to 'unusual pattern transactions'.

My card is with Tesco and they have the option on their website to change your contact details to an Australian address which was a little surprising. Does anyone know whether if you move abroad the cc companies cancel your card under their terms & conditions?

Guest mandisfam

Hi, I kept mine when I went out to oz before. I was only on a working holiday visa, so I was coming back to the UK. I just used my brothers address and like you say check the statments online. I wanted to take it as an emergency back up. I had no problems.

I also kept my UK bank account open because I was having monies paid in from a my flat that I rented out during the time I was out in oz. So I knew if I did you use my credit card I could pay it easily. To be honest don't think the credit card company even knew I was in oz. Doubt they care as long as the bill is paid.

No doubt someone with better advice will be along soon.

All the best

Mandisfam

Hi you can keep your card and get your statement sent to OZ ..no problem.

The unusual spending stop is a security check incase a fraudster has your card...but If you make the company aware that you are moving overseas you shouldn't have a problem.

What i would say is that how are you going to pay for it?If you are keeping a UK bank account with a lump sum thats fine...but to send small amounts back to Uk on a regular basis you will proberly get a poor rate and be charges a fee...sometimes as much as $30 in high street banks.

Hope this helps.

Guest june coates
I was thinking of keeping my UK credit card and changing the address to my parents (statements are online anyway) up until I saw Watchdog last night regarding the banks stopping your card usage due to 'unusual pattern transactions'.

My card is with Tesco and they have the option on their website to change your contact details to an Australian address which was a little surprising. Does anyone know whether if you move abroad the cc companies cancel your card under their terms & conditions?

i have been here for 5 mths now and still have my uk credit card.it is so much easier as i still have my uk bank account.so pay for everything with credit card and pay online.i was having so much trouble with my bank card,they were keep blocking it and the charges,when i spent on it were very high.i have my credit card statement sent to my address in oz.

june

Guest Edinburger

I was having trouble paying for things online with my credit card as it was still registered to my UK address. Changed it to my Aussie address and no problems at all. I just get an e-statement to save having to wait for a paper one.

Guest jaiyork

LOL don't worry get an egg card (online billing) capital one are doing good deals at the moment and change the address to your mums and tell the card company once you have it you are going to travell round OZ for a year or however long the discounted rate is and you will be fine or alternatively ( not recomended but i have heard that people max out the cards change the address to what ever close to the end and just cancel payment online and walk away from if:) now thats funny if you have been screwed by them for years. Good luck

Guest mandisfam
LOL don't worry get an egg card (online billing) capital one are doing good deals at the moment and change the address to your mums and tell the card company once you have it you are going to travell round OZ for a year or however long the discounted rate is and you will be fine or alternatively ( not recomended but i have heard that people max out the cards change the address to what ever close to the end and just cancel payment online and walk away from if:) now thats funny if you have been screwed by them for years. Good luck

Hi, Great idea, but what happens if you want to come back to the UK for whatever reason?????

Go with a clean slate thats I what I say......you don't want to burn your bridges so to speak.

Mandisfam

Guest Pinhead
I was having trouble paying for things online with my credit card as it was still registered to my UK address. Changed it to my Aussie address and no problems at all. I just get an e-statement to save having to wait for a paper one.

Any idea whether they will send your replacement card to you in Oz?

The reason I ask is that CBA don't send replacement ATM cards for their Streamline accounts outside of oz.

Archived