Ping Pongers - who has ping ponged the most?

Chortlepuss

Some people are always looking for something. The upside of it is the children of the people settle down and do not want to move. How do I know because my parents moved all the time, not back to the UK but country to country to country and then around the country. Mum is now approaching 96 and if I said I am moving she would say oh I will come and she would be off. She owned four different properties after dad died. She sold and moved to a hostel, moved out rents and has lived in five different rentals and tells me in July when her lease is up she is moving. Its a disease called dissatisfaction and the pursuit of happiness which does not exist. The other side of the hill is never greener than the one we are on. If only we could see it. Hence I am not a mover at all now, nor is my brother. We can find beauty in everywhere we live.

We are serial ping pongers and have moved back and forth 5 times for long periods and twice for short periods. No unhappiness or dissatisfaction, just a great love for both countries. We have accepted that we can't stay in one exclusively from the other. Yes, it is expensive but we'll do any kind of work that is available and we always seem to manage. Been in Oz for the last 5 months and now we are planning to go back for UK summer and no doubt back again here before Christmas. Every trip is exciting although the plane journey is a bit of a b.........d.?

• 1 month later...

Hi kellmer, replied back to you PM but not sure has gone. We are ex sunny coast, now at North Lakes.

I am not sure what the hell I am! probably just tired!

Deep down I am a "settler" but hubby is a "restless adventurer" plus "has to go where his dream job is". I spent time overseas on my OE at 20, then came back to NZ and met hubby at 23. Then Dublin, England, NZ, Australia, (he tried to get me to Dubai and India in between - told him very strongly what I thought), now we are planning to move back to England. That's last move! for ever more!

We haven't ping ponged but feel like we're on a bit of elastic! Lived in Queensland now for 7 years, been back to UK on holiday to see family and friends 6 times and are thinking of going again later this year. We can stay with Mother-in-law in Uk which makes it easy and cheap and it doesn't help having one son here in Oz and one in London! Having said that, we are staying in Oz, feel much happier and healthier here and when I get homesick I remind myself to take off the rose tinted glasses, a holiday is very different to living there again.

I am the same Linda - left home Sept 2008 (as a 21 year old setting out to travel the world!) & ended up staying here. In the nearly 7 years I have been home 5 times (3 weddings, once whilst getting my 457 visa & 1 funeral), and going again in a months time (yet another wedding! & my partner meeting my parents for the first time).

No accommodation costs, getting to stay in touch with friends and family; why not?! :smile:

I have lived in Newman, WA for 3 years, Perth for 3 years now on the move to Brisbane!!

Archived