Is anyone buying AUD now or holding off ???

richselina

Same shock here as it was 1.72 ish last week, do I jump now or wait ?

While I have made signifcant GBP --> AUD transfers over the last 2 years, I do not have the compulsion of making lumpsum payments. So, I have basically made payments when the rate has moved in the multiples of 5 (regardless of whether the rate went up or down). The lowest I received was 1.49 and the highest I have received so far is 1.95 (transferred today!).. As mentioned on another thread, this has given me an average rate of 1.8.

What we need to bare in mind is 1.96 (It got to 1.97 today) is the best rate since early 2009 I believe, therefore exchanging at that rate is a very good thing. Psychology that 2.0 mark would be fantastic but unless you are exchanging hundreds of thousands of pounds is the risk of waiting worthwhile?

If I had the cash today I would have gone for it. I am just hoping it is high in April as our visa cost is $7920!

I got a shock this morning when I saw the GBP vs AUD was at $1.96 and it made me wonder whether now is a good time to buy AUD or hold off for a few more weeks?

What are the views out there ?

Are you asking because you need to make a conversion soon due to some upcoming AUD costs, or rather in terms of switching your savings to a different currency?

Long-term I would say stick to GBP and USD as currencies. AUD is very volatile at the moment and things could really get ugly if suddenly the US stock exchange started to rumble...

currencygraph.png

Mid-market rate is virtually at £1: $2 now (£1 = $1.999), looks like the last time it was two dollars to the pound was around July/Aug 2009. Still a fair way from when we moved and it was £1 = $2.50 but a big improvement from a couple of years ago. When it was around $1.50 to the pound, it must have affected a lot of people's migration plans.

Everybody heave......................... The rate was $1.9980 a minute ago.

$2.00073 now.

Drat. I'm now working in Oz but need to send money back to the UK every so often (things like student loan) so it's not in my favour anymore :(

Archived