naomi1990

Hi,

I am starting to look at getting together my application for a onshore de-facto Partner visa.

I am willing to get help from an agent/lawyer, although do as much as I can myself or through here to bring down costs.

I have one question before starting, I am in Queensland and wondering if my de-facto has to be officially registered for 12 months?

My partner and I have been together for 12months and in de-facto since July 2014 (and my current WHV ends in sept 2015 giving us 12 months de-facto).

Any help or advice would be so so so greatly appreciated.

No, if you register your relationship in Queensland, it provides an exemption from the 12 month requirement. You must however still provide substantial evidence that yours is a genuine and continuing relationship in the same way as is required for legally married couples.

If you have plenty of evidence of your relationship and good health and do not foresee any complications, you do not need a migration agent. You do need to be organised and read the partner booklet thoroughly but the process is pretty straight forward.

My my tip is make 2 or 3 copies of all of your documents, get them certified by a JP then you have copies to send away and back ups should you ever need them. Also scan in all docs and email them back to yourself and put them in a folder so you have electronic copies. It's saved a lot of time when finding rentals, opening bank accounts etc and for completing the paperwork for stage 2 of the partner visa.

My my tip is make 2 or 3 copies of all of your documents, get them certified by a JP then you have copies to send away and back ups should you ever need them. Also scan in all docs and email them back to yourself and put them in a folder so you have electronic copies. It's saved a lot of time when finding rentals, opening bank accounts etc and for completing the paperwork for stage 2 of the partner visa.

Or apply for your partner visa online and then you don't need to get anything certified as a true copy.

OP make sure you fulfil the 4 evidence categories and demonstrate your relationship is genuine and continuing. All that still needs to be proved even if the relationship is registered.

ThAnks for the advice!!

Two more questions that's have popped up in my mind....

1 - what is process time for the 820 and does it automatically come with a bridging visa?

2- if I did the offshore version of this visa how long approx would I be offshore for before its granted?

ThAnks for the advice!!

Two more questions that's have popped up in my mind....

1 - what is process time for the 820 and does it automatically come with a bridging visa?

2- if I did the offshore version of this visa how long approx would I be offshore for before its granted?

An 820 can be expected to take around 13 months to be processed but that's only an estimate and it could take a longer or shorter time than that. Provided you're still on a substantive visa when you apply, a Bridging visa A is automatic and it will take effect when your WHV expires.

Offshore 309 Partner visas lodged in the UK are currently estimated to take 10-14 months. During processing, you should be able to get a Visitor visa to come to Australia but you will not be able to work and you must go offshore for the visa grant to take place. Given that you're already onshore, an 820 sounds like a better option for you as it won't mean any separation and even though it's more expensive than a 309, the trip out of Australia to lodge the application plus another fare to return (and 2 more if you want to visit during processing) will probably make up the difference.