Hostels - A safe choice?

samv

I plan to move back to Australia from Greece where I have been living for 15 years. and since I am on a tight budget I am thinking about staying in a hostel until I save up to rent a house, get settled in and have my daughter brought over.

Since I have not lived in Australia as an adult and hostels are rare (or perhaps non-existent) in Greece I was wondering if anyone could give me some info about them.

My main concern is if they are safe. Is there anyone in charge there at night to take care of things? Is there anything else I need to know besides the safety issue?

:)

I plan to move back to Australia from Greece where I have been living for 15 years. and since I am on a tight budget I am thinking about staying in a hostel until I save up to rent a house

Do you mean backpacking type hostels? My niece stayed in a few of those and no, there isn't anyone keeping an eye on belongings in the shared rooms, you just have to be careful not to leave valuables around. My niece left valuable stuff with me - if you're bringing a fair bit of stuff over, you could rent a small storage unit at a self-storage place (there are places which offer lockers for backpackers but they're ridiculously expensive).

Have you thought about timing your return for the long university vacation, then you could get a student room in one of the halls of residence? Which city are you coming back to?

I've stayed in a hostel in Greece. ;-)

Hostels here are pretty good. You can get private rooms which obviously are lockable. Some places have night security people around the hostel. Some have 24 hour front desk coverage. Some don't. They ALL have reviews nowadays. Have a good read. I've stayed in ones which look pretty much like a hotel.

Thanks for your replies.

I'm moving to Sydney.

My main concern is personal safety at night so I had never thought about my personal belongings. I won't have much with me anyway so I guess it's just passports etc that I have to watch over.

I didn't know there were hostels with private rooms. I'll look into that. Hopefully there will be some affordable ones. At my age (...34) I don't know how easy it would be to be sharing over a long period of time.

Archived