5year travel limit on 189, what is this?

jkm10

Also the RRV rules are those that apply currently. RRV rules could change in the future.

IMHO, if you genuinely want to migrate to Australia, get the visa sorted then move over as soon as possible - don't faff around until the last minute and then wonder why it all went wrong.

If I understand correctly, for temporary residents, if you leave Aus and your visa has expired (or you cancelled it) you can claim "departing Australia superannuation payment", i.e. you can get your Super back.

Whereas if you're a citizen you have to retire in Aus or NZ to claim your pension. Unlike UK pensions which can be claimed overseas.

Would be helpful to know how this works for people having PR which then expires as being discussed above.

The ability to claim the "departing Australia superannuation payment" applies only to people on temporary visas i.e. 457, Student, WHV etc. It does not apply to holders (or even past holders) of permanent visas (PRs) or citizens.

The ability to claim the "departing Australia superannuation payment" applies only to people on temporary visas i.e. 457, Student, WHV etc. It does not apply to holders of permanent visas (PRs) or citizens.

Yes but if your PR expires, as was being discussed above, what classification does that put you into?

If I understand correctly, for temporary residents, if you leave Aus and your visa has expired (or you cancelled it) you can claim "departing Australia superannuation payment", i.e. you can get your Super back.

Whereas if you're a citizen you have to retire in Aus or NZ to claim your pension. Unlike UK pensions which can be claimed overseas.

You're mixing up superannuation with the state age pension.

You have to be living in Australia at retirement age to claim a state age pension. A State Age Pension is nothing to do with superannuation and frankly is nothing to aspire to. It's a means tested benefit for retired people with low income and few assets.

Superannuation is different. It's your money and of course you can get it if you're living overseas by the time you retire. The only restriction for citizens and PR holders is that they have to wait until they reach retirement age before they can access it. People on temp visas can get theirs back when their visas are cancelled.

Superannuation is different. It's your money and of course you can get it if you're living overseas by the time you retire. The only restriction for citizens and PR holders is that they have to wait until they reach retirement age before they can access it. People on temp visas can get theirs back when their visas are cancelled.

Ah good, I was hoping I'd got it wrong!

Thanks @NickyNook.

Sorry for hijacking your thread @jkm10 :)

That's not quite right. The first part about having until January 2016 to make the first landing is right but the 5 years with re-entry rights starts from when the 189 visa is GRANTED, not from when you land.

Your right to re-enter Australia on the 189 would expire in May 2021. Until then, you can legally enter and leave Australia as you wish but after that, you can only re-enter as a PR if you have a RRV. You will definitely be able to get a 5 year RRV if you were in Australia for 2 years out of the 5 years immediately before you apply for the RRV - the 2 years can be made up of several presences and doesn't need to be in one block. If you were in Australia for less than 2 years in total during that 5 years, you wouldn't be able to get a 5 year RRV but may be able to get a 1 year or 3 month RRV if you can satisfy the processing officer that you meet the requirements. A RRV of whatever length allows you to re-enter Australia while it's valid.

And sorry you couldn't see my post. It was a thing that can happen with occasional posts by mods but has now been fixed.

Hi Ozmaniac, thanks for the response again.. ah it makes a lot more sense to me now. But i think you meant May 2020 and not May 2021 in your second paragraph, first sentence? if my 189 visa is granted in may 2015, it would be 5 years from then?

I guess its safe to say then as long as you are in the country 2/5 years there will be absolutely no issue getting a RRV. I must have been mistaken then when i read somewhere that it is 3 out of 5 years..

one last question.. when i was a kid, i lived in Papua New Guinea for a few years because my parents were expats there.. I went to an international primary school there but didn't complete, I left in Grade 2 and went back to my home country. Honestly I don't even remember the dates and months I did school there so this kinda complicates my situation when filling out form 80.. i don't even know if i can retain records of when exactly i was in school. is this something crucial that I must declare under my education section?

thanks again inadv.

Hi Ozmaniac, thanks for the response again.. ah it makes a lot more sense to me now. But i think you meant May 2020 and not May 2021 in your second paragraph, first sentence? if my 189 visa is granted in may 2015, it would be 5 years from then?

I guess its safe to say then as long as you are in the country 2/5 years there will be absolutely no issue getting a RRV. I must have been mistaken then when i read somewhere that it is 3 out of 5 years..

one last question.. when i was a kid, i lived in Papua New Guinea for a few years because my parents were expats there.. I went to an international primary school there but didn't complete, I left in Grade 2 and went back to my home country. Honestly I don't even remember the dates and months I did school there so this kinda complicates my situation when filling out form 80.. i don't even know if i can retain records of when exactly i was in school. is this something crucial that I must declare under my education section?

thanks again inadv.

Oops, sorry about the miscalculation. Worked it out twice and still got it wrong! Yes, it should be May 2020.

For the other question... Just the year will do. If they want more, they'll ask for it but you were a small child and I'm sure that will be enough.

Archived