Items of concern at quarantine

MacFamily 2006

Morning/evening everyone!

I'm hoping that i'll get some reassurance from this posting! We are in the early stages of looking at the possibility of moving to Australia and are looking at the ins and outs and costings etc. I am looking at the costs and what is involved with moving and came across this on the Australian gov website:

http://www.agriculture.gov.au/biosecurity/travel/moving-emigrating/items_of_quarantine_concern_in_personal_effects

What concerns me is that obviously most of our furniture is made of wood, we have musical instruments, we have loads of photo frames, and mementos from our honeymoon which are made of wood etc etc

Does this mean we cannot take these items?

Thanks in advance,

Rachel :chatterbox:

If you look at the specific items mentioned, it is largely related to untreated wooden products.

Normal household furniture is fine, but not antique rattan type chairs.

If you have a chair or a picture frame carved out of a tree from your local woods, that's not OK.

Musical instruments, cricket bats, bed frames from IKEA, table and chairs from MFi; no need to worry.

Agree with suzukiscottie; untreated wood you have picked up from holidays will be your issues, anything widely commercially available will be fine.

Christmas Decorations will be a no-no; think pinecones, oranges studded with cloves, etc.

Dirt on tools, bikes, tents and shoes need to be cleaned to sparkling.

Thanks. We have a few items we got from the Maldives from our honeymoon :sad: but we can leave the here with relatives I suppose.

The bedroom furniture is all wood but is waxed - I LOVE my bed and would like to keep it.

All our other furniture is lacquered oak, some it quite new. I have nothing I've carved myself!

I have read about Jeyes fluid etc and shoes can be covered in this, and bikes - likely we will not take and get new ones when out in Oz.

I assume all the above is ok?

Furniture and manufactured goods will be fine. The AQIS do not like seeds, nuts, pine cones, shells, sand, soil, tree bark. If there is untreated wood, they do not want to see insect holes, loose sawdust, etc. The rules are less strict than people imagine, and it is useful when overseas to say to high pressure salesmen that you cannot buy their 36 position folding Koran stand because it is made of wood and you wouldn't be allowed to bring it in. Truth is, if you wanted to, you probably could.

Archived