Nursing system in Australia explained

Captain Roberto

Is there an easy way to understand the bands in Australia re; Nursing?

My wife @robley got her 1st degree (B.A. Nursing Studies) 19 years ago, working various different ward jobs in the hospital - then 14 years ago she did another degree (MSc - Applied Community & Health Studies) - and has worked as a district Nurse since then in a few roles, as a caseload manager and team leader (Band 6 and 7) - but we haven't (as yet) worked out what the similar or equivalent jobs are over there. It might not be possible to get work at the same level/pay grade as she hest in the UK, but it would be nice to get as near as possible. It would also be a good idea if we learned as much about the Australian system now before we arrive in early July.

It seems the system is pretty different - does anyone know any good resources to look into this, grades and pay scales?

Thanks

The Roberts family

Here in WA if you work as an RN the scale is Level 1. (then increments) e.g. 1.1, 1.2. etc.

Clinical Nurse Positions are promotional and start at Level 2.1 - 2.4

Senior Registered Nurse Positions are SRN 2 upwards SRN 3's will be the ward managers, managers in the community. It is not always easy to get a senior position direct from the UK in part because of the knowledge of the systems and processes here.

I was a Band 7 (G Grade) community nurse in the Uk, worked on the ward as a level 1.9 for a few months to get my feet in the door, applied for a level 2 position and my experience put me at 2.4. I then applied and got a level 3 position.

Here in WA if you work as an RN the scale is Level 1. (then increments) e.g. 1.1, 1.2. etc.

Clinical Nurse Positions are promotional and start at Level 2.1 - 2.4

Senior Registered Nurse Positions are SRN 2 upwards SRN 3's will be the ward managers, managers in the community. It is not always easy to get a senior position direct from the UK in part because of the knowledge of the systems and processes here.

I was a Band 7 (G Grade) community nurse in the Uk, worked on the ward as a level 1.9 for a few months to get my feet in the door, applied for a level 2 position and my experience put me at 2.4. I then applied and got a level 3 position.

Thanks @ali - super helpful

Nsw has alot of Info on its health website if u google nurse pay scale nsw u should find it..also look on their recruitment page n look at jobs u think are equal to role u want n see what band/role its called..I used to wrk in nsw health n its one of easier ones to figure out...they take past experience Into account if u can provide statement of service

• 1 month later...

Hi @ali

I have just re-read this thread now I'm in the process of looking for work prior to my arrival in Sydney in July this year. I'm currently a band 6 district nurse (I was a Band 7 prior to this). I've been looking into community nursing in Australia and been told it pays less than the UK? Also not sure what level to pitch my skills at, do employers decide where you are on the pay scale when they assess your experience?

I'm considering aged care nursing as a possibility as not too keen to return to the wards.

Thanks in advance!

Hi @ali

I have just re-read this thread now I'm in the process of looking for work prior to my arrival in Sydney in July this year. I'm currently a band 6 district nurse (I was a Band 7 prior to this). I've been looking into community nursing in Australia and been told it pays less than the UK? Also not sure what level to pitch my skills at, do employers decide where you are on the pay scale when they assess your experience?

I'm considering aged care nursing as a possibility as not too keen to return to the wards.

Thanks in advance!

I don't know about NSW .. here in WA community salary is certainly comparable to what I earned in the UK. Here in WA jobs are advertised as grades e.g. CN Level 2, RN level 1 SRN etc., so the post you apply for will partially dictate the band .. and the service would determine how far up the scale you'd be due to experience. Despite being a Band 7, my first job was a level 1 (to get my foot in the door), they gave me top increment which was 1.9 due to my experience, 4 months after, I got a Community post in Mental health, because I was an experienced community nurse they put me at the top grade 2.4 .. I then got an SRN 3 post a little while after, again in community.

Archived