Looking for a nice beach area close to Brisbane any ideas?

kde2014

We are looking to move to the Brisbane area from the Uk later this year, we are struggling with the whole dilemma of which area to settle in. We have 4 children from 5-16 years old would like to live near the coast but able to commute to Brisbane also. Don't want to be moving schools regularly if we get it wrong, so need to find the right area or thereabouts first time. Want a better quality of life and would like to be near a beach any thoughts anyone?? Thanks

Shorncliffe is a nice area, depends what the budget is? There aren't really any good surf beaches in Brisbane - closest would be Bribie or Stradbroke. I go to the beach all the time at sunshine coast and live close to the city. Commute at the weekend to a good beach rather than every day for a mediocre one.

When you say 'commute to Brisbane', do you mean the CBD? If not, do you know where you will be working? Do you want to travel by car or on public transport? Brisbane is a very spread out city with pretty terrible traffic in many areas and if you live on one side of town and work on the other side, it can be a very long and stressful commute. IMO, you would be wise to leave any decision on where to live until you know where you will be working.

Guest lnother

Hi, I can imagine you are very excited finally getting to think about where to live. I live 15 minutes from Bribie Island which has a lovely white sand beach with both calm and surf side. I choose not to live on Bribie as it's an additional 15 mins commute each way on top of a 1.5hr door to door into the CBD by train. At the end of the day only you can know what is right for you. There can be quite a difference between suburbs too, you can ask around but we all like something different. I'd agree that Shorncliffe is lovely, and if I could stand the commute I too would move to the Sunshine Coast for the beaches there. Bribie offers me a great clean beach in a relaxed environment within easy reach. I don't go often but it's there when I want it. I suspect your lifestyle will change anyway with or without the beach, just being able to be out doors most days and not feel cold is a major change. If you want any more info, just ask.

Redcliffe/Scarborough (Scarborough front is very pretty) are nice although they are not your 'idyllic' postcard beaches that you see. Then you are not far from Bribie which has a gorgeous surf beach and a lovely calm side. Redcliffe would also be a nightmare to commute from if you were to drive, there is a train station due there soon but it would be a long commute to the city. We are 20mins from Redcliffe & 35mins from Bribie & 50mins from Caloundra. Love it. Feel free to message me with ant questions x

• 1 month later...

We looked into Redcliffe last year when my partner was doing an hour commute daily from Mooloolaba. I thought it was nice but would have taken thirty five minutes to get into the cbd compared to the hour from Mooloolaba so didn't move.Nice little place but much better beaches on the sunny coast. good luck.

Archived