Mechanics assessment, vetassess interview (general light vehicle)

Mark87

Hi all,

OK first post... hopefully someone can help me out and maybe put my mind at rest (or not).

Im a mechanic, 28, with qualifications and experience (NVQ LV3), i gained my qualifications 7 years ago.

Im applying for permanent residency soon and my main concern is with the vetassess interview via video call, i would really like to hear from people that have experienced this part of the process.

I know myself i'm capable of doing my job but with it being years ago that i was last trained, and often rarely encountering some of the aspects of what i was originally trained in day-to-day, i'm worried what they will ask me and whether i will have the correct answers for them to pass!

I am worried mainly about questions on testing electronics, auto gearboxes... areas that i haven't had much to do with, things that i know i could repair but still i'm worried about answering questions on them.

i have read a couple of threads on a similar topic but the only answers i came across was people saying 'don't worry, its not actually that bad'........... i'm still worrying! lol

I guess i would love to hear from someone who has done the interview as part of there process and to explain what it was like in a bit more detail...

Is it hard?!

What sort of questions would they ask?

How in-depth do they expect you to go?

How would they ask them?

Is it more of a conversation than a test?

How long dose it take?

How would you recommend i prepare?

Im not trying to worry too much but it just feels to me like this would be the deal breaker of the whole application! :arghh:

If anyone feels like they could help me out, it would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Matt

Im in the same boat. I have heard on good authority that they ask basic but detailed questions so i think brushing up on your theory would be good prep. Hopefully someone who has done it will answer tour post and we can all get a heads up. I was told it was a 2 hour conversation.

Hope this helps but im just as blind as you are and panicking too.

AC

• 2 weeks later...

Hi mark, I did a technical interview in May last year in London, all they do is ask questions about the trade, as your in the trade it's easy, I was there for about 3hrs, it's more of a conversation, you won't need to brush up on anything as your know it, all there trying to do is make sure your a mechanic. The guy I had was brilliant made me feel relaxed. Don't stress it's easy. What visa are you applying for? I moved to Sydney August last year as I got sponsored on a 457. I'm still waiting for my Eio invertation as I'm applying for a 190visa. Eoi was submitted in June so your possibly in for a long wait, if you want to know more let me know

Hi mark, I did a technical interview in May last year in London, all they do is ask questions about the trade, as your in the trade it's easy, I was there for about 3hrs, it's more of a conversation, you won't need to brush up on anything as your know it, all there trying to do is make sure your a mechanic. The guy I had was brilliant made me feel relaxed. Don't stress it's easy. What visa are you applying for? I moved to Sydney August last year as I got sponsored on a 457. I'm still waiting for my Eio invertation as I'm applying for a 190visa. Eoi was submitted in June so your possibly in for a long wait, if you want to know more let me know ?

Hi sking83,

i am after doing some research at the moment on the interviewes... Is there any chance I could contact you direct via mail? I ask as been in and out of the trade for last 20 years and not sure I want to pay all the fees out to find I am too far out of touch!!!

Thanks cam223770

Sking83 thanks for the heads up. Was the interview 3 hours long or were u at the centre for 3 hours. As u say it's trade related questions, is it fully technical with specs, a general chat or something more based on procedures? I guess the interviews are not all the same but having an idea from someone that's been through it is always helpful. Thanks

• 3 years later...
On 2/20/2015 at 15:15, Sking83 said:

Hi mark, I did a technical interview in May last year in London, all they do is ask questions about the trade, as your in the trade it's easy, I was there for about 3hrs, it's more of a conversation, you won't need to brush up on anything as your know it, all there trying to do is make sure your a mechanic. The guy I had was brilliant made me feel relaxed. Don't stress it's easy. What visa are you applying for? I moved to Sydney August last year as I got sponsored on a 457. I'm still waiting for my Eio invertation as I'm applying for a 190visa. Eoi was submitted in June so your possibly in for a long wait, if you want to know more let me know

hi sking, i am planing to give VETASSESS Motor Mechanic Assessment.. can you please guide me how to pass ?

Archived