Bringing the dog with us

Scots Lass

I have been looking into the cost of bringing our dog out with us. At the moment the thought of leaving him behind - he is a 6 year old spaniel- is too difficult to accept. I think my emotions are all over the place at the moment - there are so many decisions to make.

I was delighted to hear that the quarantine period has been reduced to 10 days - all being well. However it appears that they get no exercise,no visits,no treats, no toys - and will be getting new food! So there is no way of knowing what the conditions are like.

It all seems very cruel - and I was wondering if anyone has been through this since the conditions were changed in September 2014.

I would also love to hear which company was used to ship the pet.

thanks

I was delighted to hear that the quarantine period has been reduced to 10 days - all being well. However it appears that they get no exercise,no visits,no treats, no toys - and will be getting new food!

At the price they now charge, I'd hope they get fed fillet steak twice per day! The daily rate has been increased to $149, iirc. 10 days == £1490. (EDIT: and as you say, "all being well". If they have to stay for 30 days, multiply that price by x3)

I have started to question whether it's worth taking ours with us, but they are part of the family - even though they are very old dogs, aged 12 and 13.

Edited by itegoa

sorry I cant help with your questions but just wanted to add that I am bringing my dog with us in Aug. He is a 6yr old Yorkie and is treated like a baby in our house (only daughter has fled the nest) Have read lots of horror stories too & I am worried sick about how he will cope, BUT, its only for 10 days. To be honest I don't let myself think about what he will go through as I know I have to have him with me and this is the only way!

When we moved to the UK and then when we came back this is the fourth time now so I think i'm getting used to it, we always used Dogtainers Pet Transport they service every state and have UK offices near Heathrow who can assist. email is vippets@dogtainers.com.au Michelle and Zillah do all the international moves and they are so good. New rules for Oz to UK so be careful, when I moved they took care of everything and advised on best timings for jabs etc. Let me know if you have any questions.

Mand

Guest The Pom Queen
When we moved to the UK and then when we came back this is the fourth time now so I think i'm getting used to it, we always used Dogtainers Pet Transport they service every state and have UK offices near Heathrow who can assist. email is vippets@dogtainers.com.au Michelle and Zillah do all the international moves and they are so good. New rules for Oz to UK so be careful, when I moved they took care of everything and advised on best timings for jabs etc. Let me know if you have any questions.

Mand

@MandyUK I am very very disappointed to see that you have not had the decency to declare who you really are, apart from posing as a very satisfied customer, especially as Michael and myself have been in correspondence yesterday.

Sorry members I better make the usual admin note for when this type of things happen.

ADMIN NOTE: We would like to make our members aware that Amanda (MandyUK) works for the Queensland office of Dogtainers therefore we will allow you to make your own conclusions on the testimonial posted.

@MandyUK I am very very disappointed to see that you have not had the decency to declare who you really are, apart from posing as a very satisfied customer, especially as Michael and myself have been in correspondence yesterday.

Sorry members I better make the usual admin note for when this type of things happen.

ADMIN NOTE: We would like to make our members aware that Amanda (MandyUK) works for the Queensland office of Dogtainers therefore we will allow you to make your own conclusions on the testimonial posted.

Tut tut. Underhand of them! They might be good....but that would put me off!

Did she at least use the company to move her dog before landing a job with them? In that case it could be a genuine satisfied customer comment. Although I guess should say: great service and then they employed me!

That kind of misses the point - anyone who signs up and with their first post promoting a company becomes a little suspect. The fact that they work for the company, don't disclose the fact and their only reason for signing up to the site is to make money from the membership without contributing to the site either financially or in any other way is very disingenuous and would definitely give me a reason for avoiding them.

NWM

As naughty as Mandy has been, Dogtainers are actually a great company and we work with them loads. The only thing to note is they dont have a UK office. Pet shippers can only book flights out of the country where they are based, so Dogtainers would get a quote from a shipper in UK (not us but that is another point :)) then add something to it and then sell it as their own service. This happens loads in pet shipping and removals and so the advice is always go to a company in the country you are based and you will save one level of someone's profit.

FYI - Petair does not do this. I just dont like being totally beholden to another company who you have no control over!

@Scot's lass - the best thing for you to do is to get the rabies vaccine and blood sample done and set as that is the part which messes people's moves up if they dont start it early enough. Then you have got another few months to make a decision. But at least if you get the preliminary work done, then you have the choice

Mand

Hi @MandyUK

we are moving out there in July, but at the moment don't know if we will be staying 2 years, 4 years or longer.

We know all about taking our dog Lola out there (It's all booked) - but have no idea about criteria for a possible return to the UK. Is it ok? I heard the quarantine used to be 6 months, but are hoping it's quicker now