I love NSW

Kapri

I contemplated emigrating to Australia for many years but for some reason, I never considered NSW.

Originally, we were going to Melbourne. Despite having never been there, I did so much research on it that I feel I know it inside out. We eventually concluded that it might not be what we were looking for.

Then, we decided on Perth as we have friends there. I got offered a job there and we put our house on the market.

However, a series of events meant we had to postpone our plans.

When we started looking into it again, we decided we wanted to be east coast so we began looking at the GC and Brisbane.

I did a huge amount of research on both and duly I was offered a job on the GC. It looked like it was a done deal! Then, Qld health had a crisis and started shedding jobs. I panicked and applied for a job in Newcastle, NSW.

I had had never considered NSW before. Mainly because I was initially on a 457 and I knew I would have to pay school fees.

After 5 years of planning, I ended up in a state that I had never researched or planned for.

And I'm glad I did!

• Sydney
  • Blue Mountains
  • Hunter valley vineyards
  • North coast - perfect climate and outstanding beauty
  • snow in winter, if that's your thing

Where else is great in NSW?

You should head south as well and check out the Illawarra, Shoalhaven, Eurobodalla, and Sapphire Coast. These areas have a good mix of beautiful beaches, little towns and temperate rain forests.

Then there is the Southern Tablelands as well with picture postcard scenery and quaint towns.

Actually there are heaps of other lovely areas as well in the west. Places like Yass and Wagga as well as the Dubbo region etc.

I contemplated emigrating to Australia for many years but for some reason, I never considered NSW.

I did a huge amount of research on both and duly I was offered a job on the GC. It looked like it was a done deal! Then, Qld health had a crisis and started shedding jobs. I panicked and applied for a job in Newcastle, NSW.

After 5 years of planning, I ended up in a state that I had never researched or planned for.

And I'm glad I did!

• Sydney

• Blue Mountains

• Hunter valley vineyards

• North coast - perfect climate and outstanding beauty

• snow in winter, if that's your thing

Where else is great in NSW?

Newcastle is very under-rated. It used to have a reputation for being rough and that has stuck, but it has changed enormously over recent years. The beach is great - some say better than Sydney, it's smaller and friendlier and cheaper, it has some great restaurants and cafes, and the Hunter Valley, Port Stephens and Lake Macquarie on your doorstep. I've worked with several people who live in Newcastle and love it.

I can relate to that :cute:. We were aiming for Queensland but when the QLD Health took a hit and they started firing employees, husband got a job offer here in Sydney. QLD health also didn`t seem keen to offer him a position appropriate to his education and experience ( based on 2 interviews where he was offered a RN job at a starting rate for RN ). He only had 1 interview with NSW Health and he was accepted for Clinical Nurse Educator, same job that he was already doing in the US.

We love NSW, so many beautiful places just within easy reach of Sydney, only been here for 6 months though so we just barely scratched the surface. Planning to go to the Blue Mountains in 3 weeks. Royal National Park, the Illawarra, Eurobodalla coast we did visit and they were spectacular.

Only issue I find is the (un)affordability of real estate. We would love to stay but I think we will have to move out of Sydney if we want to own a property again.

Archived