Working Holiday Car Insurance

DapperDirewolf

Hi everyone!

I have a simple enough question (I hope!) about car insurance for those of us on a Working Holiday Visa who have gone and purchased a vehicle for the purposes of travelling the country ... In all my research so far I've found it very difficult to come across any concise information about car insurance options for backpackers.

I'm a 27 year old male from the UK and have just bought myself a van to drive around the country with, and have even found some rather appealing car insurance quotes from companies such as Woolworths. The only problem is, having looked at the terms and conditions and policies etc., that there doesn't appear to be anything specific about the validity of people like myself on temporary visas purchasing or claiming on insurance. What I'm concerned with here, of course, is that I end up in some kind of accident (touch wood!), call to make a claim, and have someone say "Hang on, you're on a working holiday visa and only have a UK driver's licence? Sorry, but that is not at all valid. No claim for you!"

I fully intend to call up some of these providers on Monday morning and ask them directly if they offer insurance to WHV drivers, but I just hoped that in asking about this here I might:

a) Get some answers or ideas a little quicker

b) Help out anybody else in my position who only wants to do things the right way

As a final note, the only company I've found so far who offers insurance specifically to backpackers and unfortunately - unless I'm mistaken - they only offer third party insurance which, whilst it is something, still doesn't suit me. I want my own property protected, too, if possible! (Oh, and Travellers Car Insurance appears to be shutting down on March 1st, too!)

I appreciate any advice given and I apologise if this topic has been covered already - I wasn't able to find anything regarding my specific issue.

Thanks! :)

Guest The Pom Queen

At the end of the day you are seem to be on a temp visa so any insurance company will cover you. As long as you have a full UK license you are fine. Also remember if you have a no claims in the UK you can use it here.

Archived