457 - Current processing times

tbk

Wow that was a stroke of luck... well done gran and you x.... no who are they? I don't want to work for a huge chain I prefer the more friendly kind of salon....I'm going to Fremantle in August so will visit a few while I'm there... see how they operate tgen ask lol x

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow that was a stroke of luck... well done gran and you x.... no who are they? I don't want to work for a huge chain I prefer the more friendly kind of salon....I'm going to Fremantle in August so will visit a few while I'm there... see how they operate tgen ask lol x

I don't think they are a large chain, I'm sure they only operate in Perth but they may have more than one salon, it's some one who I was in touch with regarding a sponsorship.

Yeah I was really lucky! The thing is, in this industry and this particular visa it's hard for the smaller salons to get accepted to sponsor there is SO much paperwork on their part and so much proof is needed. And the wage aswell, the minimum threshold that 457 visa holders have to be paid is quite a bit more than an employer would initially pay a senior stylist. It should be easier face to face I would definitely pop into a few salons, have you done a skills assessment? I haven't, hence the reason for 457 and not permanent residency straight away x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No haven't done skills or elts... I'm going for a 457 . There is only me and my son on the visa , 2 salons I'm interviewing with have sponsored before, so fingers crossed it will be easy..

I don't think any of this is easy [emoji85] but it should be easier yeah [emoji3] well good luck with your interviews!! I have myself, husband and 2 daughters on my application x

No haven't done skills or elts... I'm going for a 457 . There is only me and my son on the visa , 2 salons I'm interviewing with have sponsored before, so fingers crossed it will be easy..

Hi Englishbird!

You seem to be in a very similar situation to me so I would like to give you some advice as I recently went over in April for interviews and trials as a hairdresser.

It really was a very stressful time I'm not gonna lie! Your whole life is on the line but it can be done as I did it after a few ups and downs.

I started to apply online a couple of weeks before I arrived and set up some interviews also I kept applying whilst there, I used seek.com.

There were a lot of jobs but unfortunately as soon as some realise you need sponsorship they are not interested, that's fair enough, but you need to get face to face to sell yourself and your skills.

I found that going in prepared with the knowledge of the 457 for the employers side helped a lot, for example the minimum wage they need to pay and info on what type of advertising they have needed to do before they selected someone from overseas. They have to be able to prove to the government that they have made every effort to hire an Australian before you. So gather your facts it helps a lot and stops you both wasting each other's time if they can't meet the requirements.

Most businesses would much rather take someone on who is on a working holiday visa (you have to be under 30 for that visa) this is the most perfect way in as you are allowed to work for a business for up to 6 months on that visa and they can be processing the 457 whilst you work.

Unfortunately for my own circumstances I couldn't get that visa so it is difficult on a tourist visa as some places will try to get you to work cash in hand until it's granted...... That's up to you but personally I made it very clear to potential employers that I would not break the law and put my future in Australia in jeopardy by working illegally.

A lot of places don't like the idea that your are off back to the uk to wait for the visa but if your skills are worth it then they will be happy to wait.

Do you have a level 3 qualification as that goes in your favour or an assessors award as that's what I have, it does look better that you are more qualified and involved in education.

I also have a large portfolio, especially of up styles as that's my specialty, so I went in with lots of examples of my work and pics of certificates I have gained through courses etc.

Be very careful of the evidence you take to the country if on a tourist visa. I was never going to undertake work illegally but if they find a resume in your bag it clearly does not look great! And immigration may choose to refuse you entry if they believe you are going to work illegally.

Also it's ok to do a trial it's a valid part of the interview process but make sure you are not paid for it.

Can't think of anything else just now but hopefully this helps you for your trip!

Any questions just ask [emoji3]

Hi I have enquired about jobs before visiting and only have interviews with the ppl who have done it before... I won't jeopardise my future or my son's future on a whim ... I will still visit salons and ask about sponsorship while I am there.....I don't mind doing a trade test for free as long as it is just 1 client xx I know what wage I should be on and what I want to be on as I am a beauty therapist also x

Where are you going to work? Xx Harriet I have looked on seek, gumtree and jorax

I'm off to a lovely little salon north of Sydney in turramurra, it has that nice friendly suburb feel and the owner seems great!

It has been a very long wait, 10 weeks so far and no visa yet. I'm extremely relieved that I have a contract signed because sometimes I wonder if I didn't they might be tempted to hire someone else if they come along?!

You might have an idea of the wage you would like to be on but there is a minimum for the 457 I think (don't quote me on this) it is $55,000 a year so the salon must pay atleast that or more. If that's what you had in mind then perfect.[emoji2]

That's great you have started to apply, some of mine I set up had already hired someone by the time I got there which was disheartening but keep at it. I think I applied for over 100 jobs on seek [emoji23]

Even apply to some that haven't advertised that they sponsor because it's no loss if they don't reply and some would actually consider it especially with your skills and experience. the beauty qualification will stand you in good stead too especially make up.

I started to feel a bit down at one point on my trip, I felt as though it wasn't going to happen and I think something to remember is that a lot of this trip you are taking (the interviews) it's not a question of your skills, I know I'm good at what I do, don't doubt yourself. Most places wanted to hire me but the visa issue got in the way, you just need to find that one employer who sees how valuable you are to their company and knows you will be worth the wait.

[emoji2]

Lauren day you had a lucky escape If you were going to work for them.... I have just read the reviews for them and not good Xx

No I didn't get that far with them! My salon came up not long after, I was just mentioning there name as I know they offer sponsorships in Perth [emoji3]

10weeks you've been waiting... Did you salon have to start from scratch on the process? (SBS aswell as nomination and visa)

No I didn't get that far with them! My salon came up not long after, I was just mentioning there name as I know they offer sponsorships in Perth [emoji3]

10weeks you've been waiting... Did you salon have to start from scratch on the process? (SBS aswell as nomination and visa)

Hi laurenday

I have spoken to you on another forum just on a different name and actually saw you were in this group, didn't realise you're a hairdresser too!

My employer already had SBS but in the past they had made a mistake on the forms and had a nomination refused so I was told we could have a longer wait, but unfortunately it took 9 weeks to even get assigned a case officer so now I fear it's going to take even longer than that. They were requested further info last week and have sent it all through so I'm thankful that step is now done and hopefully the next thing to hear will be that nomination is accepted (fingers crossed)

I'm just so scared after reading that it took 6 weeks for your nomination after the further info that I could be in for another long wait? Can't predict it though so just have to stay hopeful!

Praying for you that your visa comes tomorrow [emoji2]

Great! Thanks for the info!

My job title is Relationship Manager for a multinational finance company. Not sure where that would fall under the nomination stage. Do you have any idea by chance? :)

The wait is agonizing because I put my life on hold for this!

Great! Thanks for the info!

My job title is Relationship Manager for a multinational finance company. Not sure where that would fall under the nomination stage. Do you have any idea by chance? :)

The wait is agonizing because I put my life on hold for this!

From what I've gathered I don't think your job title makes a difference in processing but perhaps the region where you are applying does as its a different office?

Also whether you have been requested further information (although I had to wait 9 weeks to even get a request!) I'm not sure if it even goes back to the same case officer once you have provided this or if it goes back into the queue somewhere?

11 weeks in total now for me, life is also on hold.

My employer is feeling the same she is now without a full time stylist as one of her girls left in June, all she can do is wait as well.

. The minimum salary level is $53,900, but if there is an Australian working for the business, you need to be paid at least the same as them

To be eligible for a 457 visa, you'll need to show that you are being paid above $53,900 which is considered the minimum amount you'll need to live in Australia. This figure is called the TSMIT (Temporary Skilled Migration Income Threshold), and is generally varied every July.

However, if there is an Australian working for the business in an equivalent position to yours, you'll need to show that you are getting paid the same, or more, than the Australian worker. This requirement is called the "Market Rate Salary" requirement.

If there is no Australian worker in an equivalent position, you'd then need to show that you are being paid what an Australian worker would be paid by referring to industry awards, salary surveys and researching salaries for other similar positions being offered.

I agree with you. I'm just wondering what my HR put under the occupation because I cannot find Relationship Manager on the CSOL. I think they mentioned it does not have to be on the list as long as it meets the job criteria.

Everyone seems to be on the same boat. I have read recently that they just approved Visa grants for those who applied between November and February. Mine was lodged in May so it could be a little while. I always tell myself "it has got to be this week" but I always end up waiting longer!

Harriet and Lauren have you had to get health insurance?

No I haven't and I'm still slightly confused over this.

My agent said I don't need to because being from the uk we have reciprocal healthcare with Australia and we are entitled to Medicare.

Now I have been defacto on my partners 457 in the past and know this to be true HOWEVER we were already in Australia and the application was onshore also we both already had Medicare so we didn't have to do anything.

But this time I am applying from offshore, you can't apply for Medicare until you are in Australia so I assumed that I would need private healthcare atleast until I get there and get Medicare?

My agent told me I don't need to so at the moment I'm trusting what he says and following his instructions [emoji2]

Yes I have Health insurance, my MA said its non negotiable for my visa to be approved I need to have adequate health cover

See this is what I'm unsure of because until I get to Australia and get Medicare there is no proof of me having healthcare for my visa to be approved??

I don't like to question my MA because it's not nice to question someone's knowledge of their job. but if I get asked to get health insurance when he is submitting my visa then I won't be very happy because it's something I could have already sorted out, I don't want time wasted and I don't want anything else to affect my application.

I will just wait for his instructions

Hi laurenday

I have spoken to you on another forum just on a different name and actually saw you were in this group, didn't realise you're a hairdresser too!

My employer already had SBS but in the past they had made a mistake on the forms and had a nomination refused so I was told we could have a longer wait, but unfortunately it took 9 weeks to even get assigned a case officer so now I fear it's going to take even longer than that. They were requested further info last week and have sent it all through so I'm thankful that step is now done and hopefully the next thing to hear will be that nomination is accepted (fingers crossed)

I'm just so scared after reading that it took 6 weeks for your nomination after the further info that I could be in for another long wait? Can't predict it though so just have to stay hopeful!

Praying for you that your visa comes tomorrow [emoji2]

We got told off our migration agent that we should hear some feedback after 28 working days from the extra information being provided, we got the nomination approval on the 25th working day.. Hope that gives you a guideline!

The extra information that was required was 'proof of why she wants to employ an overseas employee' - not sure whether that will help you but you may aswell know everything as we are in the same situation!

Our MA seems to be pretty sh*t hot and has advised we should head feed back 'very soon likely next week' that was Thursday! But who knows!

My new employer wants me to start work on the 4th August so time is limited!!

I hope your nomination gets approved soon!

I have read that as long as the visa holder does the crossing to validate the visa, family can follow later within a certain time frame x

Thanks! Can you remember where you read that? We are only talking 6 days difference so I'm guessing that would be within the time frame

Archived