opinions on sharing accomodation short term?

KazzE

Hi - if this is the wrong place for this post I apologise and understand if it is moved by mods

we have a large house with rooms we hardly use so we were thinking of renting a couple out as tempory accomodation for when people first land which would give them a week or two to find their feet and find a longer term rental. We are thinking of using airbnb or similar for deposits and payments.

We would be able to offer separate access to guest area, exclusive use of a bathroom, furnished bedrooms x 2 and a 'living/lounge' room and shared use of a kitchen and laundry, outdoor area with BBQ.

We would be able to shut off our part of the house and would not want house guests accessing this area at all.

Possible issues

We have two dogs who share our home and would need to share kitchen/dining room as that has access to the outdoor area - for this reason we are thinking that we would not have any young children but would consider older children who are used to dogs.

We are in the Western suburbs of Melbourne

so opinions from . .

People who think they might use this type of accommodation - what would you expect/hope to have available to you? what would you expect to pay? how long do you think you would want this type of accommodation for?

People who already rent out property

What would we need to think about?

What pitfalls, problems do you think we would encounter?

any constructive advice or opinions about this idea are welcomed

thanks in advance:wubclub:

Karen

I've stayed in numerous properties through airbnb and they are all very different so I see no problem with the arrangement you are suggesting - just make sure everything is very clear on your advert.

Another option is to offer 'home stay' - this is usually students, the income will probably be less but it is regular, our last home stay student stayed a year and we were paid over $800 a month. We used Australian Homestay Network and found them good but there are plenty of others.

One thing to be careful of with Airbnb is insurance - if someone was to have an accident or be bitten by one of your dogs for example you would probably find your public liability instance wouldn't cover it as they are paying guests. If might also affect your contents insurance. I think airbnb would offer advice on these aspects though.

• 1 month later...

Hi KazzE,

not or sure how far you have made it in your research to possibly rent out part of your home but my hubby & I arrive in Melbourne 23rd Feb and will be looking for some short term accommodation, poss 2-4 weeks. We've set up an email especially for our move to get info from others, if you don't mind would love to hear from you and find out more such as, where in Western suburbs, transport links etc, do you have space for one car (which we hope to buy in first week) to be parked etc!

celticozbound@yahoo.com

hope to hear from you soon

Archived