Medical History

Jazzhead

Hi everyone,

New user here. Some quick background before my question:

37 year old male.

Secondary school teacher (music).

Looking to hopefully secure a 189 visa within the next two years.

Previously held a working holiday visa in my early twenties.

My question...

How in depth do the authorities look into your medical records/history during the visa application process?

About three years ago I developed a moderate case of depression including panic attacks after series of life events happened simultaneously that I had to deal with (end of a difficult relationship, stress with my studies, financial worries, parental issues etc). I was prescribed a standard dose of an anti depressant (which I still take daily) and this resolved the illness completely.

Would this be a significant hurdle in my application or not?

Advice from anyone who may have experienced similar concerns during the application process would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Jazzhead (not my real name ;) )

Guest guest30085

Hi Jazzhead

Welcome to PIO.

I can't help with the medical query other than to say I'm sure I've seen this asked a few times and it doesn't appear to be a barrier to obtaining a visa, but I'm sure others will be along who can clarify more.

Thanks for the reply, Adonna. My main concern is whether or not the authorities have access to my GP's notes as they contain some pretty grim info regarding how I felt at the time I was experiencing depression e.g. my doctor summarised my thoughts at the time which were pretty dark. I will fully disclose the depressive episode on my application of course. I'm just wondering if my GP records will be requested at any point or if it is simply a case of me disclosing my medical history, medications and undergoing a medical examination.

I'll await responses from other users who may know categorically.

I hope that I'm just being unduly paranoid!

Thanks for your responses guys, greatly appreciated.

Take some professional advice from a registered migration agent.

wrussell, I will seek professional advice eventually if I feel that I need to use an agent. I'm simply making informal enquiry right now via people who may have had similar concerns previously. Anyway, I'm certain that your suggestion constitutes as a conflict of interest?! He he ;):P

Thanks again guys.

Archived