Buying a car with no permanent address?

Simonr

We have booked flights to Perth, with the intention of buying a car and caravan and travelling for a few weeks before settling in Melbourne.

When we arrive, and for several weeks after, we won't have a proper address. As far as I understand, we need an address in order to register the car (and caravan?). What's the best way of doing this without an address? Can I use a PO box or something? Or a hotel address?

Thanks

I would imagine that you need to consider which State you register the vehicle in too. Also I imagine you would need a fixed address ( not a hotel or PO address) to insure the vehicles. I'm afraid that I can't help with the question. Do you have any family or close friends in Melbourne perhaps with an address you can use (assuming that is legal).

For another stream of information to consider, there are several Faceb**k groups for travellers/backpackers which are quite active in the field of buying and selling of camper vans and suchlike. Might be worth doing a Google and having a look at some of the groups to find out the best tips for getting yourselves on the road without a "permanent" address.