Stunning ocean images captured

Guest Guest66881

Guest Guest66881

Australia's iconic beaches have always been a source of fascination for surf photographers, and one native has made it his mission to find moments of perfection in Sydney's water no matter what it takes.

Shey Ivanov, 32, spends hours in the water every day in an attempt to capture elusive moments of beauty, often heading into the water after a long day at work just as other photographers are leaving.

Having gained a name for himself posting his stunning images on Instagram, Shey said that the responses he gets from his followers makes his efforts all worth while.

Scroll down for video

240E4E9E00000578-2882349-Curl_Curl_native_Shey_Ivanov_captures_waves_as_they_crash_onto_t-a-12_1419160811214.jpg

+11

Curl Curl native Shey Ivanov captures waves as they crash onto the shores of Sydney beaches: this image was captured during a lightning storm that Shey 'had to be out in'

'I want to capture a moment, a microsecond of perfection, that might come out of hours of shooting,' Shey told Daily Mail Australia.

Working Monday to Friday as a picture framer 'to pay the bills', Shey has what he calls a 'full time hobby' in his water photography, building up a fan base on social media and his website.

His images, shot from the water using a Digital SLR Canon 5D Mark 3 in waterproof housing, capture moments of tranquility which Shey hopes will inspire positivity in people.

Growing up in Byron Bay, Shey said that he was 'basically born on the beach', and that it was inevitable that he would end up back in the water for his driving passion.

'I always knew I'd end up back there, but Byron offered very little options- it tended to chew you up or spit you out, so I needed to get out of there.'

After being inspired during his final school years by his sister's dabble with photography, Shey said he picked up a camera and never looked back.

Relocating at the age of 21 to Curl Curl in Sydney's North Shore, Shey said he considers himself lucky to be able to live and work right near 'the best beach in Australia'.

240E4EA200000578-2882349-His_images_are_shot_from_the_water_using_a_Digital_SLR_Canon_5D_-a-13_1419160811222.jpg

+11

His images are shot from the water using a Digital SLR Canon 5D Mark 3 in waterproof housing

240E503300000578-2882349-Shey_said_he_tries_to_capture_moments_of_tranquility_which_he_ho-a-14_1419160811229.jpg

+11

Shey said he tries to capture moments of tranquility which he hopes will inspire positivity in people

2433439500000578-2882349-Shey_was_born_in_Byron_Bay_and_became_inspired_to_pick_up_a_came-a-15_1419160811237.jpg

+11

Shey was born in Byron Bay and became inspired to pick up a camera by his older sister during his HSC

While he admits that his style has changed over the past five years, Shey said the most significant change in his photography has been his ability to take pictures in any light.

'I use two flashes, which sets me apart from other people. I can be out in the almost dark and capture the rich colours of sunset, heading in to the water when other photographers are heading back on to the beach,' he said,

This persistence and spirit of determination has seen Shey capture some of the most unique and striking images of his career.

'You can go out in the worst conditions with grey skies, and can come back with gold- I'm in the water every afternoon for so many hours but I'm happy if I come out with one photo I love.'

'My goal is to find pieces that everyone can relate to, whether they're an 80-year-old surfer or a 15-year-old out West.'

'As a surfer, waves are a big thing for me, but I've been moving towards capturing tranquility shots, ones that allow people to lose themselves in the photo and make them feel like they're there.'

Spending hours in the water in pursuit of these shots has meant that Shey has seen his fair share of strange and beautiful sights.

240E503F00000578-2882349-In_2012_Shey_was_out_in_the_water_taking_photographs_when_he_saw-a-16_1419160811244.jpg

+11

In 2012 Shey was out in the water taking photographs when he saw a 15 metre whale swimming right by him

240E503B00000578-2882349-While_he_admits_that_his_style_has_changed_over_the_past_five_ye-a-17_1419160811252.jpg

• SHARE PICTURE

+11

While he admits that his style has changed over the past five years, Shey said the most significant change in his photography has been his ability to take pictures in any light

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2882349/I-try-capture-images-people-lose-Stunning-pictures-faces-surf-Sydney.html#ixzz3Mbbn9Te0

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Archived