Dilemma of what to do when i arrive

danny182

Hi all!

I am a 21 year old former resident of Australia and am returning in march on a Resident return visa. I moved back to the UK in 2010 and decided soon after I made a mistake. I am now returning without my family. I initially planned to stay with a good friend of mine upon returning on the Gold Coast until I get myself on my feet with work etc. I am now unable to stay with my friend and am worrying about what to do when i get back. I am still undecided where I am heading! It will either be Gold Coast, Brisbane or Cairns depending on where the work is. I am not sure how I am going to get my driving license transferred, how I am going to get a bank account and how I am going to register with medicare or get a tax file number. I hear all these things require a permanent address. Could somebody please offer advice?! I am starting to get a little nervous and March is fast approaching. Also could somebody offer their input on which of these three places have the best prospects for work?

Thanks

It depends on what type of work you'll be looking for but Brisbane is much larger than the GC or Cairns and for anything outside the tourist industry, will probably be the best place to find work.

If you have a full driving licence, it will be very easy to get a Queensland licence and you won't need any kind of test.

http://www.qld.gov.au/transport/licensing/driver-licensing/overseas/transfer/index.html Transferring to a Qld licence

If you apply for a bank account within 6 weeks of your arrival in Australia, you will be able to do so using only your passport for ID.

Go to a Medicare office to enrol. Leave it for a week or so before you do so as I understand it can take that long for the system to show that you're here. You'll find Medicare offices in all the major shopping centres and in the city.

As a new resident, you can apply online for a TFN. It will take 3 or 4 weeks to arrive but you can work before it does. You simply complete a TFN Declaration from (your employer will give you one) and say on that that you've applied. You then have 28 days to provide it before the employer is obliged to deduct tax at the highest rate.

https://www.ato.gov.au/Forms/Permanent-migrants-or-temporary-visitors---online-TFN-application/ Online TFN application

If you don't have a permanent address, you can have mail sent Post Restante where you pick it up at a nominated Post Office. The address for that is:

Family name (block letters) First name

C/o Post Office (or GPO if sending to the main city PO)

Town or Suburb State Postcode

So it's...

SMITH, John

C/o GPO

Brisbane QLD 3000

or

SMITH, John

C/o Post Office

Surfers Paradise QLD 4217

I think out the three options you mention Brisbane would be the best place to pick up some work. It's a nice City too and I could easily settle there. I've been lucky enough to work and stay in Brisbane and the other State Capitals, I like them all but Bris would be my second favourite after Perth. It has a nice feel to the City, well laid out, nice pubs, seems plenty to do. Obviously I'm a lot older than you but I remember being 21:laugh: and I reckon Brisbane would be a good place to be as a 21 year old. You don't say what your job is but at your age it pays to be flexible and maybe bar work would be an option until something else turns up. It's a great way to meet people too. Good luck.

Archived