Driving License's

Indi

Hi All,

if we are looking to swap our licenses over from UK to Aussie. Do we loose our UK licenses or?

Also im 23 i have read that i need to sit another test if under 25, i am looking to move over next feb and i will be 24 in march, so can i drive for one year on my uk then swap once I'm 25 or can i straight swap even being under 25?

Thanks

Indi

It can depend on the state you are moving to. In SA we kept our UK licences and none of us including our then 20 year old son had to sit any additional tests. Just got new Aussie ones after filling in the forms.

just to add it can also depend on the country you are from. You can check on the state transport website for the state you are going to.

I was assuming you have a UK one

It can depend on the state you are moving to. In SA we kept our UK licences and none of us including our then 20 year old son had to sit any additional tests. Just got new Aussie ones after filling in the forms.

just to add it can also depend on the country you are from. You can check on the state transport website for the state you are going to.

I was assuming you have a UK one

Hi Rammygirl,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes we all have UK licenses. we are moving to WA, perth?

wil have a look on the website!

thanks a lot!

How long you can drive on your UK licence depends on what kind of visa you'll be here on.

I'f you're on a Permanent Resident type visa you'll have to get a WA licence within 3 months. I suggest leaving it for as long as possible - If you dont have an Aussie licence they cant put points on it when you get caught speeding by a man in a bush with a camera!

We live in Victoria and if we speed or get caught by police, they still take all your details and put them on your Australian licence when you get one, no matter the date you got fined/caught, so that don't apply in victoria, so i would check that out if i was you. or better still don't speed. xx

Archived