Student Visa 2015

mmjen

Hi all,

My family came out to Australia Dec 2007 on a student visa and finally got pr in 2012!! Yay :)

Now I always say it was the hardest most stressful thing we could have done especially with kids and I would never recommend anyone to do it themselves!

However now I have a cousin who really wants to come to Australia, hes already done a working visa which he had to cut short due to a family bereavement but hes desperate to get back.

Hes married and they are 25 and 27 years old and I have had a quick look on the immigration website and it looks as though students can now work 40 hours a week in term time and unlimited during school holidays which is great as it was only 20 hours during term time when we did it!

He would study Horticulture (which I studied) and they can live with us and I can guarantee a job for him in his field of study, so what im asking is how difficult is it nowadays to gain permanent residency through the student route?

I ended up being sponsored after I had gained my cert 3 on a 457 and then on the ens and a friend was sponsored at the same place after he gained his cert 4 so this is also a possibility, its been a while since we did the student route and I know how often the rules change so wondering if anyone else is going through this now?

Thanks

First off, it isn't 40 hours a week, it's 40 hours a fortnight. ;-)

The only options currently open after studying horticulture is 457 visa (I'm surprised you found someone paying the minimum wage for a 457, here in SA hort work doesn't pay close) or state sponsorship.

You know how hard it was, and it's only getting harder. Personally I'd stear anyone away, especially from hort work. It's also what I studied and I know so many companies which have closed down in the last few years.

Hi all,

My family came out to Australia Dec 2007 on a student visa and finally got pr in 2012!! Yay :)

Now I always say it was the hardest most stressful thing we could have done especially with kids and I would never recommend anyone to do it themselves!

However now I have a cousin who really wants to come to Australia, hes already done a working visa which he had to cut short due to a family bereavement but hes desperate to get back.

Hes married and they are 25 and 27 years old and I have had a quick look on the immigration website and it looks as though students can now work 40 hours a week in term time and unlimited during school holidays which is great as it was only 20 hours during term time when we did it!

He would study Horticulture (which I studied) and they can live with us and I can guarantee a job for him in his field of study, so what im asking is how difficult is it nowadays to gain permanent residency through the student route?

I ended up being sponsored after I had gained my cert 3 on a 457 and then on the ens and a friend was sponsored at the same place after he gained his cert 4 so this is also a possibility, its been a while since we did the student route and I know how often the rules change so wondering if anyone else is going through this now?

Thanks

I' afraid you've misread the rules. Students can only work for 40 hours per FORTNIGHT while their course is in session and unlimited hours during official course breaks. A fortnight is any contiguous two week period. It was changed from the old 20 hours per week to allow for people with uneven rosters e.g. they might get 25 hours one week but only 15 the next.

Horticulturist is on neither the SOL or CSOL which means that it isn't eligible for any points tested visa and nor is it eligible for 457 or 186 employer sponsored visas. Gardener however is on the CSOL and is eligible for state and employer sponsored visas but it won't be easy to find an employer that will be able to meet the current 457 salary requirements for what is usually a fairly low paid job and it doesn't appear on any state list of occupations.

Opps sorry I did misread the 40 hours lol I did think it would be very nice of them to change it to 40 a week ok so its 40 per fortnight!

I was sponsored as a Landscape Gardener on a 457, and when I did it back in 2008/9 ish cert 3 in horticulture was the hightest qualification needed then I spent almost 4 years on that visa and eventually got the 186, my friend at the same work place tried after me and he needed to have cert 4 but his 457 was granted once he had that and then he got his PR through RSMS as we are regional.

Better to study a trade qualification. If the trade remains on the SOL by the time of graduation you can apply for a Graduate (18 month) visa, Bear in mind that working 20 hours a week will barely be enough to survive let alone pay tuition fees, which will likely be around $28k AUD for the 4 semesters required. It's not an impossible route, but definitely not easy!

I'd agree with Sean, do a technical or vocational trade which is good for the future, everywhere. The Oz govt. has website http://joboutlook.gov.au has salary levels and specific occupation outlooks, and still cookery has opportunities, plus electrotechnology, medical technology, many trades etc. All occupations are cyclical in demand, as is the economy.....

Archived