I am so scared!

pattern

I've been reading those posts from people who got the visa grant and are about to finally do the move that are saying they feel so scared. I thought that those guys are crazy, that something is wrong with them. After going through this 1+ year of struggle to get the visa why it is >now< that they start to worry? Wasn't this the hardest thing they ever did? Why are they not celebrating and enjoying those last weeks of preparation before they board that plane? I will tell you, the visa application is NOT the hardest thing, the hardest thing is actually DOING the move. Leaving your loved ones, quitting your job, selling your stuff, giving up your house/apartment, your home. Honestly, I never thought this will be so hard.

Trust me I am not having second thoughts about it, I am doing it. Just wanted to share how I feel and hope this might help others prepare in advance for what is about to happen. All this is real, this emotional waterfall that so many of us are going through is real and it may happen to you also. Be prepared.

Good luck to all of you!

At this time of the year, I get my diary out for 1978, to see what I was doing as I arrived in Perth on 3 November, 1978, then Adelaide at the end of November, and finally to Sydney on 8 December, so it's almost my anniversary.

There's nothing wrong with feeling the way that you do. Any move, even from one house to another in the same street, let alone to the other end of the world, is right up there on the 'top ten of stress' scale.

You could always rent out your home in the UK, rather than sell it, if you are worried about 'burning your bridges.' I don't know if that is good or bad? I went back to the UK for twelve years, and I still have my home there rented out, which is good, but my loft is full of personal effects, which is not so good, because at some point I have to do something about them.

Maybe your employer would hold your job open for you too? Depends how understanding they are? I actually took a year's unpaid leave to come out to OZ for my second time, and I handed in my notice from Sydney. There's no right or wrong way to emigrate.

Good luck anyway, and remember that the majority of migrants have a positive experience.

totally agree , although the excitement of finally getting that golden ticket is a rush , holy moley then you realise your dream has come true and you begin to panic with everything you have ever known to be left behind and the journey in front terrifies you.I went into melt down when we got our visa 6 years ago , we moved about a bit for work but happy to say were all Australian Citizens now and proud to Australia our home , is it worth all the stress ABSOLUTELY i could never imagine living back in the UK ever again Australia has given my children everything and so much more good luck everyone with your new life journey enjoy the ride

Thank you all for the encouraging words :) Are we all girls in this treat or boys feel the same way also? My partner seems to have much more confidence in what we are doing, although he just got promoted and now he is a member of the management team.

totally agree , although the excitement of finally getting that golden ticket is a rush , holy moley then you realise your dream has come true and you begin to panic with everything you have ever known to be left behind and the journey in front terrifies you.I went into melt down when we got our visa 6 years ago , we moved about a bit for work but happy to say were all Australian Citizens now and proud to Australia our home , is it worth all the stress ABSOLUTELY i could never imagine living back in the UK ever again Australia has given my children everything and so much more good luck everyone with your new life journey enjoy the ride

I remember you from way back when I went under the moniker of "itcouldbeworse"................haven't seen a post from you in a long while. Good to know you're settled and happy.

Archived