Visa question

Proview220

Hello guys it's been a while since I was last on here, I have had plenty of good times chatting on here but lost contact with people as daily life goes on.

My question is: we are perm residents on a 176 ss. Our current visa expires in May 2016, we lived in Australia Gold Coast for 10 months then went back to the U.K. for 15 months does the time we spent living here for the 10 months still contribute time towards applying for citizenship or do we have to start again from scratch,

Thanks

Unfortunately, you can't count the 10 months. Because you were out of Australia for longer than 12 months, the citizenship clock stopped and only started again (from scratch) when you returned.

So how long can you leave the country for without being stripped of the time already clocked up here

Thanks

Heh mate how you going ? I think you must have 4 years of lawful residence before you apply and mustnt have been out of the country for than 12mths in that time.

Cal x

Good to be back cal

So how long can you leave the country for without being stripped of the time already clocked up here

Thanks

There's no simple answer to that question.

The rules state:

You must:

• have been living in Australia on a valid Australian visa for four years immediately before applying which must include the last 12 months as a permanent resident, and

• not have been absent from Australia for more than one year in total, in the 4 year period, including no more than 90 days in the year before applying.

So, if you're away for 12+ months on end, you lose everything you've clocked up before that time. If you're away for a shorter time, you may not lose anything but it depends on how long you've been away at other times in the 4 years and when you were away.

The 10 months won't count as you have been out of Australia for longer than 12 months.

But if you go back to Australia as you already hold a PR visa you can use the 12 months out of Australia at the start of the 4 year qualifying period so after living in Australia for 3 years if you don't leave at any time you will be eligible for citizenship.