Holiday/ Recce trip

Rosebud13

Hi all,

My husband and I are planning a trip to OZ in August next year. It's primarily a holiday but we also want to see if we could migrate in a year or two. We like the idea of Brisbane/Townsville, Melbourne or Sydney but of course it depends on where the best job opportunities are (I'm a Teacher and my husband is an accountant). We may just love an area, but what things should we look for in order to help us decide? What made you decide on one area over another?

Any suggestions would be great.

As you say, it will depend on availability of work for you both primarily. As well as your own preferences as all places are very different.

We had no work ties so chose Brisbane. The climate is probably UK temperatures + 10C all year round which, for us, is as close to ideal as we were likely to get (but that does not suit all). Melbourne can be freezing or 40C+ which we don't like with major and sudden changes. Sydney and its environs just too expensive to be considered. Brisbane also in easy reach of the Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast and some beautiful hinterland. Sydney, Cairns and New Zealand are short flights away.

You can read and reseach on-line but i firmly believe a good drive around areas is the only way to tell if its for you. If you like what you see, you can visit the local shopping ctr and see what people are like, if you have kids, drive past the local school at going home time. These things will give you a good idea of the people in the area.

Where possible drive, drive and drive some more, you will discover places you hadnt previously looked into, especially if you stay off the highways and drive through the suburbs instead (where possible of course).

See.com and local classifieds should give you an idea of job vacancies in the area's your interested in, and Realestate.com is great for rental and buying process and availability.

Lots of luck with everything

Cal x

I would first visit Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane as you and your husband will find better opportunities in the bigger cities.

All three have something different to offer (besides the weather!).

We live in Brisbane but we love Sydney and Melbourne also. The financial sector is predominantly based in the latter two.

Brisbane has the most relaxed feel of all three in my opinion, Melbourne feels the most European and has the most European climate, Sydney has the easiest access to beaches, although we are only 1 hour away. Brisbane I feel has the best all-round climate for doing outdoor activities!

Archived