Northern Rivers goes Renewable

Tina2

An interesting Video. Like Dayleford in Victoria another area ignoring Abbott and going Renewable. Abbott can push his head in the sand attitude in support of coal fired energy, but the bottom line is people are starting to demand we look at renewable energy. It may be starting with small communities like Daylesford, but the Northern Rivers is a far larger area and they have support of councils.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-11-26/new-age-energy/5920850

Guest Guest 47403

The lack of acknowledgement towards renewable energy in this country amazes me, it's ripe for it.............................high sunshine hours, windy and the room for huge wind farms, I can't under stand why solar panels are not enforced on every new build. Australia could be a world leader in renewable energy.

The lack of acknowledgement towards renewable energy in this country amazes me,

The sad thing is that there were many Oz pioneers in this industry right at the beginning. They have never received support - from a succession of short sighted governments - and have moved to countries like Germany and USA which have welcomed their vision and enterprise and are now benefitting from it.

Australia is far too late in pioneering nuclear power, as the focus now has shifted from fusion to fission. As for coal. Most people on this forum don't know what they're talking about. The majority of coal burnt isn't the nice shiny black stuff. It is brown coal called lignite. It's a young and moist coal which is so inefficient it produces around 30% more CO2 than black coal. Black coal, in itself, is a relatively clean source of power. As for wind power. Forget it. The state of Gujarat in India just had a massive blackout, and that's normally 'windy' too.

The lack of acknowledgement towards renewable energy in this country amazes me, it's ripe for it.............................high sunshine hours, windy and the room for huge wind farms, I can't under stand why solar panels are not enforced on every new build. Australia could be a world leader in renewable energy.

Well despite the governments head in the sand attitude it is clear many citizens are concerned about the future of the environment. Tonight Vitory gained a new premier but more importantly the Greens gained there first ever seat in the lower house with 3 more possible. That is now 2 labour states and I am pretty sure the Qld premier Newman will be going when the next state election happens, so interesting times ahead.