Pool Maintenance

emj1986

Hi all,

Not sure if this is the right place to post this question so apologies if not. We are moving to a new rental next weekend which happens to have a 25m in ground pool! I have never had a pool before so know nothing when it comes to filters and chemicals and general maintenance etc. Are there people that can come out on a regular basis and just do what needs to be done or is it easy enough to do without the need for a professional? Also, does anyone have a rough monthly cost of keeping a pool that size maintained?

Cheers :wink:

Go down to your local pool shop they should be able to help you heaps and should come out and show you how things work, they may or may not charge for this initial visit, but you would then give them business anyhow for the chemicals and things. Once you get to know a little, your knowledge will build from there. most pool shops do a free water test and then tell you what you need, salt, chlorine, acid etc. and then put that in yourself, the will also tell you how long to run your filter morning and night.

Running cost will depend on the pools volume, type of construction, how you use it, time of year, rain events etc, the biggest cost will be the electricity to run the pump.

They are an expensive item if not used often, but overall good to have for young families.

Thanks Keith and Linda - we are VERY lucky in that our electricity is included in our rent, so at least we don't have to worry about that side of the running costs. Ill get myself down to the pool shop then once we've moved in. Was just a bit wary of looking like I know nothing - dont know what its like here but back in the UK they would be rubbing their hands together at a clueless blonde walking into their shop lol.

Thanks Keith and Linda - we are VERY lucky in that our electricity is included in our rent, so at least we don't have to worry about that side of the running costs. Ill get myself down to the pool shop then once we've moved in. Was just a bit wary of looking like I know nothing - dont know what its like here but back in the UK they would be rubbing their hands together at a clueless blonde walking into their shop lol.

We were clueless too, you can get kits to test yourself, but as the pool shop does it for free there is no need. We do use an owner operator and not one of the franchise ones don't know if there is a difference or not. You could ask the landlord if they have used anyone local? as then they will have the history/knowledge of your pool too.

Guest Guest66881

Just going to say what QSS as said, unusual for it not to be really.

But if not, just take some pool water taken out the pool an arms length down into the water, pool shops offer a free testing as do bunnings but you do the work at bungs.

Purchase required chems, pool shop personal will explain whats what with you.

Biggest bit of advice i can offer is don't let it slip away from you, a green pool is not a nice thing to have to clear.

And above all use as much as you can.

We were the same as you, paid $60 for a pool man to come out and go through everything with my husband, testing, maintenance etc, we now know what to do, we take a sample to our local pool shop and then but salt etc from bunnings as cheaper. If the pool needs anything other than general maintenance we get the owners to sort it out. It's worth paying to get a good knowledge as said above a green pool is a nightmare, pump now on 8 hrs a day as summer mode, but we run 4 hrs of it at night as cheap electricity, sooooooooooo worth it as children and husband now in it every day

Check first that a pool man isn't included in the rent. It's very normal for that to happen here.

It definitely isn't included, but as electricity, gas, water and grounds maintenance are included I don't think I can complain lol. Absolutely nothing was included in our current rental and utilities are pretty steep so it was a very nice surprise to read all the inclusions in the paperwork!

My top tip: be careful when the cover is off the skimmer box. Don't do what I did, and step backwards into it after chucking the leaves out of the basket. That got me a visit to the ED, a diagnosis of bad ankle sprain and weeks of pain :(

Apparently I was the third person the ED had seen that week pulling such a stunt!!

My top tip: be careful when the cover is off the skimmer box. Don't do what I did, and step backwards into it after chucking the leaves out of the basket. That got me a visit to the ED, a diagnosis of bad ankle sprain and weeks of pain :(

Apparently I was the third person the ED had seen that week pulling such a stunt!!

OH dear ouch!

Archived