Chestnuts!

ali

Traditionally, I've always bought a bag of frozen sprouts and chestnuts to make a soup (tastes better than it sounds honest) ... but nothing quite as convenient here .... so not having been able to get chestnuts at xmas I decided to buy them fresh as they're now on sale and freeze them for xmas.

I followed the preparation: slit in the skin, cooked in boiling water for 4 mins then peel - came out of the shell easy enough but then it took me another 30 mins to get the next layer off so that they looked like white chestnuts.

Any Jamies or Delia's know of a simpler/less time consuming way

Ali

Ali, i saw the chestnuts in Harris's fruit farm - i just love to boil them so they are nice & soft & them eat them, never mind the freezer - they woudnt keep i'd be in there defrosting the damm things in the microwave LOL

i found this Ali

For long-term storage we blanch and peel the nuts (see the How to Peel page from the "Cooking" button above) and then vacuum-seal them and put them in the freezer. One pound of fresh nuts in the shell yields 12 oz or 2 1/4 C of blanched, peeled nuts and that's the quantity we use in each bag since so many recipes call for a pound of nuts. Stored in this manner they will last a year without any noticeable degradation of appearance or flavor.

Store

giz

Thanks Giz - took me ages and my fingers are really sore from peeling them. I will get some more though 'cos the couple I tested hot out of the pan were absolutly delicious. You've actually answered another question as I was wondering how long they'd keep. I think I'll get some more

Cheers Ali x

Guest The Cutches

Hi Ali,

I'm a complete chestnut freak and depending on how impatient I'm feeling, I either roast them in the oven for 20mins on 200c (for the best taste) or in the microwave for about 3-4 mins on high. Just leave them to cool for a few mins then they should shell easily.

Oh and I've found if you slit them in a criss cross shape on just one side it helps with the shelling.

Your soup sounds fab, do you follow a recipe? Hint Hint.:notworthy:

CC

x

Thanks you - I'll pm you the recipe later today - it was a great way to get the kids to eat sprouts - Tom called it 'green soup' and we traditionally had it every xmas - but last year (our first in oz) we had to make home made mushroom or 'brown soup', parsnip and cider is also rather yummy!!

Ali

Prepare Chestnuts (as per the cutches instructions).

Melt 20z butter, add 1 chopped onion, 2 potatoes (peeled and diced), 8oz sprouts (trimmed and chopped) and chestnuts. Cover pan and cook gently for 5 mins to soften, not brown the veg.

Stir in 1 1/2 pints of chicken stock & bring to the boil, cover and simmer for about 40 mins until the veg are tender.

Blend the soup until smooth, season and reheat. Top with crispy streaky bacon (chopped into pieces), and a swirl of cream.

Ali

Guest The Cutches

soup.png

Sounds fab Ali, gonna trawl the frozen isles later, don't wanna wait til December!!:jiggy:

CC

x

Archived