Two Visa options - your views?

supercow

Thanks, I'll tell him that. We are between oxford and bedford, we are in beds! Good luck for Saturday....it's going to be a long wait afterwards waiting for results I guess!

What was your husband's feedback - does he feel it went OK?

I have some positives and negatives to take away from the test this past Saturday, but I don't think I'll get the needed score.

I made a balls up with the listening. I lost track due to loss of concentration, and certainly got 3 questions wrong as a result. There's a fourth where I knew I answered incorrectly certainly, but I couldn't actually remember what the right answer was - so left it as is.

At least this time, I think, my reading went well and I should score 8. Now that I have scored 8 in all of the discrete modules on different sittings, I'll just need to do it in one :)

Predicted score for this is L 7.5 , R 8, W 8 , S 8.5

PS: I've already pre-booked another test at Bedford, just in case (my closest venue doesn't have spaces available in December)

Edited by supercow

• 2 weeks later...

Turns out to be more frustrating. I didn't mess up too badly in the listening as I thought... but it's my old friend reading tripping me up once again

I just can not seem to get the hang on the reading test. Does anyone know if it's possible to get more detailed results i.e: get details on the kind of question I keep getting wrong?

DgvSvC7.png

The IELTS test centres are operationally / administratively separate from one another.My centre is run by the King's colleges in Oxford, who have an online portal that you can check.

I checked just after 00:00 last night, but nothing... woke up at 03'ish and checked again and it was there.

I'll see if I can find a tutor, but thus far I have only found ones that cater towards foreign students in classrooms etc, which is not what I need.

Well we got my husbands results, he got reading 8, listening 7.5, writing 7.5 and speaking 9. He is gutted. He really did work hard in the run up to it. The writing is difficult to know how to improve on though as hard to know how they mark it. The listening/reading at least is marked on how many questions you get right/wrong. Oh well, guess we'd better book another test asap.

Sorry to hear about that. I know everyone says the same thing, but I honestly think he will then get it the next time around. You can use a simple method to better writing score for example:

For writing the second essay, the key to a good essay is the introduction, so I use a simple formula:

What's the topic? (essentially paraphrase the question at a higher level)

What's the question(s)?

What's my view / answer?

Substantiation of the answer?

^^ This above forms my introduction, in three sentences. Add 3 body paragraphs and then a kick ass conclusion to tie it all up (just a summary of they key points he highlighted and reiterate his point of view).

They want you to use complex sentences, answer the question(s) and be very clear in your thought process (which in turn is clear from reading the essay). I don't think you need to be verbose, or flex your linguistic muscles too much (i.e: Don't need to sound like you have Russel Brand's vocabulary! )

The listening is easy to make silly mistakes and pose no issue for native speakers ... just have to try it again. My attention waned and I lost track of the conversation during mine - so just took a stab at the right answers and got lucky :)

I'm trying to find resource to help me on the very simple parts of the reading test (first paper you read during the test), because it's those ones tripping me up. Strangely I find the latter parts easier (i.e: the "harder" reading articles) and the Academic reading papers easier (the practise test I do, I find the academic ones I do best on)

Edited by supercow

Have you considered state nomination? There is 5 points and it's faster in priority. Correct me if I am wrong?

Off the top of my head, I'd be 5 points short for state nominated.

Edit: Ah no that's not correct. No state currently sponsors my occupation

261111 - ICT Business Analyst "Special Conditions Apply" (admittedly I'm not 100% clued up on what that means)

Edited by supercow

• 4 weeks later...

Youy gotta laugh... the saga continues :)

E9k61KK.png

So, the thing I been struggling with went great... 2 9's and everything... but fluffed my writing. When I realised I did well in the reading I got too excited and when the writing say came along, my mind just went blank, and had nothing in particular to say about it :(

Ah well..

Edited by supercow

My husband did his again and got results couple of days ago. He got 8 or 8.5 apart from writing which he got 6.5 aggghhhh!! So frustrating. Trying to find out if anyone does help with writing section as that's the one that's hard to know where you go wrong!

Edited by Mazza227

E9k61KK.png

So, the thing I been struggling with went great... 2 9's and everything... but fluffed my writing. When I realised I did well in the reading I got too excited and when the writing say came along, my mind just went blank, and had nothing in particular to say about it :(

Ah well..

Rats! How disappointing for you but Writing is one of the two subjective components and given your other scores, it may be worthwhile asking for a remark of that component. You only need half a mark and with writing, that a distinct possibility.

• 4 weeks later...

E9k61KK.png

Ah well..

Hi, did did you get your test remarked?

Hubby did his test again in january and managed to get 8 for writing which he was struggling with, and 8.5/9 for the rest....3rd time lucky!

No I've not yet - only recently received my certificate, due to the Christmas slow down. The process takes another 6-8 weeks, so in that time I may as well just go and sit the bloody thing again :P

To be honest, I don't personally think the essay was worth an 8, comparing it to my previous efforts.

• 1 month later...

SO, in IELTS summary:

The first time I got (L8, R7,W8,S9)

The second time I got (L8, R7.5, W7.5, S9)

The third time I got (L8, R7.5, W8, S9)

The fourth time I got (L9, R8.5, W7.5, S9)

Waiting on my 5th results (getting those this Friday)

….aaaaand sitting my 6th this coming Saturday (dependant obviously on the aforementioned 5th result :confused: )

You can’t say I’m not tenacious, but honest to god, I’m pretty blinking sick of IELTS and can’t stand the site of Oxford anymore (taken majority of my tests there). It's particularly galling for me, given that my livelihood is based on my ability to communicate clearly and consider myself as someone with excellent proficiency in English … and a bit of a grammar Nazi :P

If still no joy by the end of the 6th, then I think I’ll give the Pearson Academic test a go.

Edited by supercow

SO, in IELTS summary:

The first time I got (L8, R7,W8,S9)

The second time I got (L8, R7.5, W7.5, S9)

The third time I got (L8, R7.5, W8, S9)

The fourth time I got (L9, R8.5, W7.5, S9)

Waiting on my 5th results (getting those this Friday)

….aaaaand sitting my 6th this coming Saturday (dependant obviously on the aforementioned 5th result :confused: )

You can’t say I’m not tenacious, but honest to god, I’m pretty blinking sick of IELTS and can’t stand the site of Oxford anymore (taken majority of my tests there). It's particularly galling for me, given that my livelihood is based on my ability to communicate clearly and consider myself as someone with excellent proficiency in English … and a bit of a grammar Nazi :P

If still no joy by the end of the 6th, then I think I’ll give the Pearson Academic test a go.

Yes, definitely give PTE a shot if #6 doesn't work out and let us know how you find it. From the spread of your scores, it looks like your English skills are actually pretty good and (anecdotally only), PTE seems to test them rather than how good you are at doing the test.

• 2 weeks later...

And so it continues:

I waited to get the 6th result back before requesting a remark, but will put the wheels in motion for both #5 & #6.

1. L8, R7, W8, S9

2. L8, R7.5, W7.5, S9

3. L8, R7.5, W8, S9

4. L9, R8.5, W7.5, S9

5. L9, R9, W7.5, S8.5

6. L8.5, R8, W7.5, S 9

If any good can come of my £1000+ sunk into IELTS (taking test, fuel for 12 trips to Oxford, and exorbitant parking cost into consideration), then I'll be delighted to provide detailed feedback.

It will be my way of sticking the middle finger to IELTS, though I'll be sure to be as objective as I can.

• 4 weeks later...

F*CK yea!!!!!

First time pearson:

Listening: 90

Reading: 90

Speaking: 87 (I stammered and messed up one of the "describe image" questions)

Writing: 90

BOOOOM!

I'll write a comprehensive comparison guide as soon as I can - I'll create a new thread on the subject.

Edited by supercow

• 1 month later...

Quick update, wow things have moved quickly for me since I got the English test done and dusted.

Been invited to apply already, under SC190 (NSW)

Have also put an EOI in for 189, so will change to that if I'm invited to apply while the docs are being compiled.