Views on Shailer Park

stevio

Hi there,

We are a family of two adults, one teenager and one 3 year old just recently (last week) relocated to Brisbane and looking for rented accommodation. We viewed a nice property today at Shailer Park but are unsure about the area, does anyone have any views? Particularly on things to do for toddlers and teenagers, transport links into Brisbane (it seems a way out - is the traffic bad and are the transport links good?) is it a friendly community?

Any comments appreciated!

Thanks

I'm over in Bayside, but get the impression Shailer Park is a bit dodgy, I'm afraid. The traffic on the motorway always seems to be busier round there too.

Im sure there are nicer areas too though - maybe someone who knows the area more can help, but those are the impressions I have.

Hi, we have lived I cornubia (next suburb up from shailer park) since arriving 2 years ago, it's great for the kids ( 12, 16,19)half way between Brisbane & the Gold Coast....it has everything we need. It's really quiet and have had no problem at all.. We like that every where is accessible like transport to the city, shops, sport clubs etc. The road is busy from springwood to tanah merah most mornings heading to the city but not the worst road. I suppose it depends on what your looking for but we won't be going anywhere else for a long time.

We drive through SP every day on the way to Brisbane from the North Gold Coast, I don't know the area from a residential point of view but that's where the traffic starts, so for us, 30km to SP takes about 20 mins, the remaining 30km to the city is a further 40 mins on an average day. I suppose my thoughts on SP are dominated by the freeway, its a busy old road & I wouldn't want to live too close to it. To answer some of your questions, yes the traffic is bad, really bad from 5AM to 9AM and all afternoon pretty much, transport links are the freeway but I think the express bus goes down to around Daisy Hill, nearest express train would be Beenleigh although we drive so I may be wrong.

Dodgee is a good word, SP is close to Woodridge, Kingston, Marsdon, Woodridge all high housing commision areas and schools are not the best. Have a look on the other side of the freeway, Daisy Hill, or out to Victoria Point. Yes they may seem a bit far out from Brisbane but not by Aussie standards, many people travel from the Northern Gold Coast every day to Brisbane, so even Ormeau, Helensvale, Pimpama, all nice areas.

Shailer park is not really too bad, but I would try to give it a miss myself and widen my search. As another poster says Cornubia is quite nice, we have friends living there for the past 20yrs. Traffic in out of the city will always be problematic at times and that generally applies to wherever you choose to live.

I find driving around the inner parts of Brisbane fine, but it bottle necks out in all directions. Living in one of the inner suburbs really does save you so much time before and after work.

West is a total nightmare but may ease with the new tunnel.

North and south awful too and can't see that ending

Shailer park is not really too bad, but I would try to give it a miss myself and widen my search. As another poster says Cornubia is quite nice, we have friends living there for the past 20yrs. Traffic in out of the city will always be problematic at times and that generally applies to wherever you choose to live.

The closer in to the city you are the better the train service. Lived in Graceville for many years and just 15 minuets on the train to Roma Street so never had to use the car for work

A cheaper area which may tick the boxes is Ferny Grove/Hills area on northside. It is on a train line so can be at central in 30 mins. Or do you need to be south?

A cheaper area which may tick the boxes is Ferny Grove/Hills area on northside. It is on a train line so can be at central in 30 mins. Or do you need to be south?

Around Brisbane there are lots of good suburbs and not that many really bad suburbs so I am sure you will find something to you liking and budget. As you have a 3 year old and a 13 year old make sure you are happy with the schools in the area you choose before signing up for a rental as many schools have catchment areas

All down to budget - a lot for your money out there. Mate lives in Tanah Merah. Nice house, drives everywhere. Mt Gravatt you've got excellent public transport via the busway. Driving and parking in Brisbane quickly gets old. Currently living in Sherwood - best place in Brisbane that I've found after 8 years here. Community, excellent transport, lots of green space but it doesn't come cheap

Sherwood, Graceville, corinda, chelmer all beautiful old suburbs, brilliant train service into Brisbane, lots of coffee shops. Just need to stay on the west side to avoid most of the flooding. Schools are great as well and close to Queensland Uni. Not cheap though

Shailer park has good and bad points we lived near shailer and was looking to buy but ended up being pulled towards the bay,daisy hill is nice it really depends if you need to be there for work or just like have friends who have children at local schools Chisholm, calvery ( Not doing so well recently) john paul if child is very academic radeemer these are private. the local schools are hit and miss. goodluck a big decision x

Archived