Young couple working in Bella Vista.... Where should we live?

Sam Reece

Hi,

We currently live in the suburbs of Manchester UK. We have been offered a job working in Bella Vista Sydney. Mad keen on the move but cannot find any definitive info on how long the commute from the CDB actually would take?

Would anyone have any recommendations on good central(ish) locations, plenty of bars, restaurants and ideally a decent golf course which would not be too much of a hassle to get to Bella vista from?

At the moment e have been looking in Newtown and surround area.

All help would be massively appreciated.

Cheers

Sam

• 3 weeks later...

Bella Vista is a long way from Sydney CBD (and Newtown, great place though it undoubtedly is for somebody wanting plenty of bars, restuarants and night life, all within a couple of kilometres from the CBD.) Bella Vista is not such a 'groovy' place to live, but if your job is there, you could get a decent home, and a more reasonable price than Newtown. Commuting in Sydney is usually loathsome, and Newtown to Bella Vista, with no direct rail or bus route, would mean an hour's drive, at least. My advice would be live close to your job, cut your commuting time, and make the trek to the city at weekends if you crave the night life. Spend the first few months living in or near Bella Vista, then move if it's too quiet for you.

I've been doing a bit more research! I live in Surry Hills, by the way, which is very similar in location and nightlife to Newtown, and, partly because I'm single, and partly because I'm used to Surry Hills, I would not fancy living in or around Bella Vista. Not because of anything 'wrong' with it, just that it is probably more for families.

Is the potential job located at Norwest? I know there is a huge industrial/commercial estate there? I was thinking of either Castle Hill or Parramatta as possible places for you to live, with a bit of 'life', reasonable traffic links, and not too far from Bella Vista. I've got a feeling that the same bus links all three - T62.

Parramatta is actually the geographical centre of Sydney and a major city in its own right. It has excellent facilities - restaurants, theatre, cinemas, and express train to Sydney. Castle Hill is also a decent place, and I'm sure there a people who can better talk about it. I like it, like the RSL club, and there must be golf clubs around too.

Google the directions and travel times from Bella Vista to various places to get an idea about travel times, especially in the peak hour. Maybe listen to one of the big radio stations like 2GB on line at those peak times to listen to traffic reports.

I Googled the times for Surry Hills to Bella Vista - 40 minutes drive or less outside of the peak, but difficult to get there on public transport. Newtown is similar as it's only a couple of K from here. If you can handle the drive or the bus, then live here! There are golf courses at Moore Park, just a couple of K away, and others not so much further.

Archived