Things worth bringing from the UK??

Freddie12

We're heading out to Oz on a PR in March 2015 - was wondering if there is anything anyone would suggest bringing from the UK (ie. things that are expensive in Oz and worth bringing or even buying to bring over??)

Any advice much appreciated :-) Thanks

Everything you own that is free from rust and dirt. Get cleaning.

Dont bring plants or seeds, no Christmas pine cones or clove studded oranges for example.

And wicker furniture can be an issue I've heard. We didn't have any, so no real idea on that.

When you get here you will have to chop off all uk plugs and get them replaced with Aussie ones. Things that have transformers built into the plug are more of an issue. To get around this we also packed half a dozen uk power boards. With the plug chopped off the power board and replaced with an Aussie one the power board becomes very useful. All our Christmas tree lights are still the uk ones and the power board is out every year for that. We also had one for our old phones, clippers, hair straighteners as well, so have a bastardised power board in the bathroom and behind the computer desk and another one in the granny flat for visitors to use.

After 5 years, I've just stopped using our old uk tv, everything else is still going strong apart from normal wear and tear.

It depends - we sold/got rid of loads in the UK and pretty much started again. With haggling, I don't feel that overall we spent more then we needed to.

We were in the position to buy new; otherwise bring as much as you can and beg/borrow what you can to live on until it arrives :-)

Bring everything you possibly can. We regret having left behind/giving away lots of stuff. Some of the prices are comparable some cheaper and some more expensive but if you already have the things you need bring them and save yourself time and effort shopping for it again. Unless of course you want something newer.

I agree with everyone else. It's not so much whether things are expensive here, it's more that you're going to be suddenly faced with replacing absolutely everything all at once. Just the first trip to the supermarket could cost you $400 - not because food is expensive but because you have to buy every single thing you currently take for granted in your pantry!

On the other hand, if you're like us and have been putting off buying new clothes/furniture because you know you're moving, maybe you've run everything into the ground and it's all overdue for replacement anyway. If that's the case then leave it behind. It's certainly not worth buying anything new to bring over.

Archived