Visa 189, Medicals and baby on the way?

Ben120379

Hi Guys,

If anybody can help us out to provide some good advice it would be much appreciated.

I lodged my 189 visa on the 10th September, with my partner and son (6) included.

We are currently awaiting the allocation of a case manager, but have yet to undertake our medicals. This is because my partner is now 36 weeks pregnant so they will not undertake a chest X-ray until the baby is born. I am aware that I will need to submit a change of circumstances form once the baby arrives and also that the baby will require a medical.

Therefore my questions are :-) :

1 - Does anyone know the likely date we would be allocated a case worker?

2 - Should we get the medicals done now, without the baby and partners chest X-ray?

3 - Should we wait 5 weeks (expected birth date plus recovery!) and get full medicals, excluding the baby, but including partners chest X-ray.

4 - Should we wait and then get ALL, (including baby's medical and my partners full medical) done as soon as possible?

From my understanding (We haven't used a agent) once we have a case officer, they will request any missing information with a 28 day limit. Therefore on the assumption that we won't have a baby passport for 6 - 8 weeks, allowing to register the baby and send off for the passport, will this be outside the 28 day limit and what happens in this instance.

If you can help with any of the above, please, please, please reply.

Thank you.

Don't panic about the 28 days. As long as you initiate things and keep the CO informed you will be fine. For example in some countries checks can take months, so as long as you apply and tell the CO, they will wait for the result which is out of your control. In other words you have 28 days to respond and do something about it but you do not have to complete everything within that timescale if it is simply not possible.

make sure you don't do police checks either as the first entry date will be a year from the first police or medical.

it will be cheaper if you wait and add the baby to the visa rather than wait and apply for a child visa, as I believe you can add a newborn before grant for free. If you inform them about the situation they should advise you.

http://www.immi.gov.au/Work/Pages/general-skilled-migration/estimated-allocation-times.aspx

wait and all get medicals done together you are not speeding anything up by doing any of them now. Once you get CO if the baby has not been born inform them of your circumstance and do medicals and police checks once baby is here.

The 28 day limit it to show that you have booked them with in the 28 days, considering the circumstances they will be flexible.

Upload change of circumstances and baby's birth certificate as soon as you have it, then passport once it arrives, there is no cost to add babies to existing applications.

its not going to take 6-8 weeks for birth certificate and passport - birth certificates are given straight away - child's first passport standard service takes 3 wks, fast track 1 wk.

Thank you both for the replies and the clear information. Will await the birth and baby passport and then book the medicals, and update the CO as and when we are allocated one?

Does anyone on here know roughly how long the CO's are taking to get allocated? We submitted ours on the 10th September.

Just on the birth cert/passport side of things, our baby's (Irish) passport was with us within 3 weeks of us applying. It took 10 days for us to get birth cert. A friend of mine from the UK who also had baby in July had to wait a month for the passport to reach her. I think your 6-8 week time allowance for getting the passport is quite realistic as it allows for a week or so of being completely immersed in the newness of your baby before getting moving with paperwork. We live in regional WA so perhaps if you're in a major city things will move quicker. Good news is that once we submitted paperwork to Dept of Immigration to get our daughter added to our 457 visa that was completed in four working days, and our friend from the UK had her daughter added within 48 hours.

Just on the birth cert/passport side of things, our baby's (Irish) passport was with us within 3 weeks of us applying. It took 10 days for us to get birth cert. A friend of mine from the UK who also had baby in July had to wait a month for the passport to reach her. I think your 6-8 week time allowance for getting the passport is quite realistic as it allows for a week or so of being completely immersed in the newness of your baby before getting moving with paperwork. We live in regional WA so perhaps if you're in a major city things will move quicker. Good news is that once we submitted paperwork to Dept of Immigration to get our daughter added to our 457 visa that was completed in four working days, and our friend from the UK had her daughter added within 48 hours.

The op are still in the UK, and applying for PR visas. Birth certificates in UK are usually given when you register the birth.

Archived