Chance of finding a rental over the Christmas period in Perth

pilotg2

Love to hear how you have all got on with rentals, especially over the December to January period.

Our family (mom, dad and 2yr twins) arrive on the 28th Nov and i'm concerned about finding a rental over the Christmas period. We have enough to tie us over for a few months to find jobs but my big worry is being homeless over Christmas! For the right place I know we will probably have to offer 6 months rent in advance to even stand a chance of being successful, but will it be enough?!

Guest Guest 47403
Love to hear how you have all got on with rentals, especially over the December to January period.

Our family (mom, dad and 2yr twins) arrive on the 28th Nov and i'm concerned about finding a rental over the Christmas period. We have enough to tie us over for a few months to find jobs but my big worry is being homeless over Christmas! For the right place I know we will probably have to offer 6 months rent in advance to even stand a chance of being successful, but will it be enough?!

The rental market isn't anywhere near as competitive as it was a couple of years ago, most rentals aren't having home opens now you just arrange a private viewing with the real estate agent, I doubt you will need to offer 6 months rent up front. You are cutting it fine arriving on the 28th Nov though, get straight onto it as soon as you arrive.

Real estate agents will close for the 2 week period over Xmas.

so you may have to be quick. Why not look now at what's available, and have something ready before you come?

thats what we did. Yes you might up with something undersirable, but searches can tell you lots, we took our rental unseen and loved it. Stayed 2 years

Thanks for the replies, we have a few AirBNB places selected with availability, just trying to make the decision to either get a 3 month place initially or 2 weeks and hope we find and get approved for a rental in the first week or two. I'm leaning towards the latter. We hope to have made a decision by the end of the weekend.

We found what looks like a good place in Fremantle for the first 2 weeks. Just need to hit that book button, final look tonight. Then to keep options open in the hope of securing a rental, will be looking at any nice suburb with in 10km of the CBD.

Ultimately we like the look of the big gardens in Kalamunda, but feel too risky to start there without know where work may be.

Personally, I'd say get a short term rental for a month, them you aren't in a rush to accept the first house you find, and if the process of obtaining a new rental takes longer then expected. We have a friend who only got a place for two weeks and got caught short.

I live in Como, 10 minutes from town, and there are loads of vacant places in this suburb as well as all the others. A villa next door to me has been up for rent for over 2 months, no takers yet. The official vacancy rate in Perth is 4.2%, add to that all the private owners vacant properties and you will find out you call the shots no matter what time of the year you arrive. Don't pay the asking price either, renters were treated like dirt 2 years ago, the boots on the other foot now. Good luck.

Thanks for that info. I think we will go with 2 to 3 weeks holiday let (depending on availability) and hope for the best. Looking on the Domain property website and sorting by Inspection dates there are loads of properties available everyday to view and given the current rental market I'm confident we will find something now within a few weeks at the most.

Archived